Wednesday, June 28, 2006

Azuki bean & coconut milk (agar) jelly

When I lived in Singapore agar jellies were so popular that I almost could get them from every eating place. Food manufacturers added different food colorings in seperated agar liquid then made to multiplied thin layers. Their jellies looked like a gem, really too beautiful to eat! Since it is my first time to make agar jelly, I played safe and so only made three layers - azuki bean milk, coconut milk, and almond flavor with whole azuki beans.

I based on a recipe of coconut milk agar jelly and changed the flavor of liquid everytime I proceeded to another layer.

Recipes of coconut milk agar

(courtesy of "forum.lifeofelegancy.org")

Ingredients:

  • 5 g agar agar (see the pic above, available in Asian food stores)
  • 1 1/4 cups water
  • 30 g corn flour mixed with 4 Tablespoons water
  • 90g sugar
  • 1/2 cup coconut milk
  • 3 Tablespoons evaporated milk

Steps:

  1. Soak the agar in cool water for 1/2 hour, drained well
  2. In a pot, boil the 1 1/4 cups water and softened agar until the agar completely dissolved. Lower the heat if necessary.
  3. Add sugar, coconut milk and evaporated milk
  4. Add corn flour water. Taste the sweetness. Turn the heat off.
  5. When the agar liquid is warm (as it turns solid very quick), pour it in a mould. Chill in refrigerator.

To make azuki bean milk jelly, I used the thickest part of the liquid (i.e. the most starchy that stays at the bottom) left from boiling azuki beans, to substitute the 1 1/4 cups water and coconut milk.

To make almond flavored jelly, I omitted the milk, replaced the coconut milk with water. You may need to add more sugar. After the heat turns off, add spoonfuls of almond extract and handfuls of cooked azuki bean.

14 comments:

archana said...

Looks like you are having a fun time for JFI. AS usual photos are awesome. The dried agar sheets are called "China grass" back home in India. Never knew that we can get it here, will look for it next time when i go to the Asian store. I have been going all gelatin, for the past few years.

Gattina Cheung said...

Archanat,
hope you'll find China grass in your store, not a problem for me here.
I rarely cook lentils/beans... even my mom only made it (as a meal) occasionally. I'm glad JFI given me a chance to explore this ingredient!

Krithika said...

Photos looks excellent. I am now curious try red beans.

Anonymous said...

wow, this is certainly something I am not familiar with. I have always been puzzled by those beans! Don't know what to do with them!

Unknown said...

What a lovely dessert! Excellent photos, as always!

Anonymous said...

Awesome pictures, Gattina and I can see that you are gearing up of the JFI. Look forward to your entry..:)

Anonymous said...

hi gattina, that is really lovely. can i use agar agar powder instead? coz thats what i hv at home. by the way, do u hv the recipe for making the caramel basket? i cant seem to find it in your caramel banana post. thx alot =) hv a nice day!

Anonymous said...

That was fascinating to read. I loved the way the jelly looked--almost like a sculpture. A delicious sculpture no doubt. :):)

Gattina Cheung said...

krithika, thank you! I think if you enjoy beans in dessert, you may like it :)

Bea, I know what you mea... I am always dazzlied by the sight whenever I see all those different and unfamiliar beans at asian store!

Angie, thank you! I miss you lah... you better buy some clothes there if you don't bring enough. The morning and night can be quite chilly.

Sailu, thank you! I just failed one dish... good luck to me, only a day left...

Evan, I think you can... but you better double-confirm with your friends there (I think your country is the king of agarx2 jelly!). For the caramel bastket, I'll do it one more time and note down the detail, please wait hor :). In the meantime, you may like to see Archanat, in her blog (Chinese banana toffe)also advises one of the method.

oh sher!!! You're back!!!!!!!!!!!

Unknown said...

Gattina, I miss you too ;p. I'll be off to Sweden tomorrow morning, Stockholm is supposed to be nice and sunny. Thank goodness I don't have to buy more clothes! Prob will not have internet access over the weekend, so will really be 'disappearing' this time :(

Anonymous said...

its ok gattina. if u r busy u don't hv to bother. thx nevertheless!

Anonymous said...

Gattina, This looks Awesome !

Gattina Cheung said...

lera, thanks for your complement :)

Anonymous said...

Food presentation goes a long way in perking one's interest in the dish. Your presentation of the jelly is superb. Makes one want to wallop it down in one go. You also appear to encompass an interesting amalgamation of varied cultures: Chinese, Singapore, Hong Kong and American. I guess you have a sweet tooth as well, judging from the many sweet dish recipes on display in your blog.
Meenakshi at PRITYA