Wednesday, October 03, 2007

Yeast-risen pancakes with quail egg & asparagus

There are a couple of girlie Hollywood movies adopted from British books that I found very cute, like Bridget Jone's Diary (from the novel of the same name) and The Wedding Date (from "Asking for Trouble" by Elizabeth Young). I'm thinking, will the popular "Shopaholic" series (by Sophie Kinsella) have a chance to hit the silver screen as well? Before it happens, I've already seen an irresistible impulse hitting me, this time wasn't about handbags or fancy place mats, but quail egg. I was at a supermarket's check-out, holding a box of quail eggs (2 dozens). While I was wondering if that was too much, a trendy and young lady came after me, awaiting to pay her 3 boxes of quail eggs (72 nos!!!). I checked her over from head to toe ... you know I'm nosy, she didn't look like having an army to feed. Mmm... maybe she want to make a mosaic artwork or something - dotting these little cuties onto a hot mountain of coarse salt ... well, I don't make this part up, such a "mosaic" was used to be seen at food vendors back to my home country. Maybe, I should make one mosaic center-piece too... a dinner party could always be arranged later. Or maybe, I could also look that trendy and young if I was holding 72 quail eggs? Or maybe... why I needed a reason for? Quail eggs are just cheap and delicious! Finally, the cashier ringed up two euros times 3...

Now you know why I had so many "odds and bites" that needed to get rid of before my trip last week. But no regret, they are delicious! And they remind me a lot about my childhood. Our ma-ma used to make (hard-boiled) them as often as moms these days making pop-corn.

I particularly like to talk about the pancake. The leavening agent is yeast instead of the popular baking powder, so it will yield bread-alike aroma and texture. Just like bread, these pancakes can go savory, or sweet, or plain. I like mine savory ... and complex; therefore my batter consists of whole grain flour and poppy seeds. After the cakes are made, topped with sour cream and chives, dotted with hard-boiled quail egg and blanched asparagus. It is a nutritional and nostalgic meal to me.

Recipe of yeast-rise pancakes with quail egg& asparagus (yield 4 servings)

*styling idea and recipe courtesy Sale & Pepe maggio 2006*

  • 100g plain flour
  • 100g whole grained flour
  • 1 - 2 tablespoon(s) poppy seeds
  • 50 g butter
  • 2 (chicken) eggs
  • 3 g dry yeast
  • 20 g sugar
  • 3 dl whole milk (I used American measuring cup... 1 + 1/4 cups)
  • 2 stalks of asparagus
  • 6 - 8 quail eggs
  • spoonfuls of sour cream
  • some chives, finely chopped
  • salt and pepper

How-to:

To make the pancakes:

  • In a small pot, slowly warm up the milk and butter. Until the butter all melts, turn off the heat and wait until the liquid be lukewarm. Dissolve the yeast in the liquid for 5 minutes. Then whisk in the (chicken) eggs.
  • Well-combine the yeast mixture with the two flours, poppy seeds and sugar. Cover, ferment the mixture in room temperature for an hour. After that, deflate it and stir again, now you are ready to make the pancake. The procedure is the same as ordinary pancake's: pre-heat a non-stick skillet, brush a bit of oil/butter, pour spoonfuls of batter in, cook both sides until golden brown. Cover the cooked cakes with a tea towel while you proceeding the rest of batter and the following steps.

To cook the eggs - place the eggs in a small pot, fill up with water. Once the water boils, turn the heat off and let the eggs sit for 3 minutes. Drain, then rinse with cold water, peel the shell and halve the eggs.

To blanche the asparagus - bring a pot of water to boil, add a pinch of salt and a bit of oil, place the asparagus in for a couple minutes. Drain, until it cools to touch, slice.

To assemble: stake up three pancakes, drop a big spoonful of sour cream on top, sprinkle some chopped chives, dot a halved egg, stick some slices of asparagus around. Salt and pepper to taste.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

31 comments:

FH said...

Quail eggs looks gorgeous, like Dalmatian dogs!!:D
Pancakes with Yeast, I have got to try, yummy!:)
Gattina, check Foodies Hope when you can, you are in for a treat!

Kalyn Denny said...

Just gorgeous! You're such a good photographer!

Orchidea said...

Very good... where do you find so many quail eggs???
Beautiful pictures!
Ciao.

Anonymous said...

These look fantastic.
I had a quail egg urge the other day, and finding I could only buy them in a box of eighteen, struggled to find ways of using them up. If only I'd had your great idea of yeasty pancakes! I've never heard of them before (and they'd make a change from blinis, which is what I resorted to in the end).

I'm so glad that this blog is back in action. It's one of my favourite sources for foody tips!

Rosa's Yummy Yums said...

Fabulous! Your recipe and pictures are really gorgeous!

Cheers,

Rosa

Blue Zebra said...

Hi gattina - I'm used to calling these little yeasted goodies blinis. They are made with many different flours from buckwheat to quinoa! Tastes divine. Love your post and your recipe. Can't wait to try it as usual!

My favorite blinis is like yours but just using a little hard boiled chicken egg and a dollop of caviar (cheap stuff)!

Cheers!

BZ

Saffron said...

Gattina, I love pancakes and these quail eggs are perfect!
You're a flawless cook in all the places of the world!

Deborah said...

Quail eggs are not as readily available here (at least from what I've seen) so I'm jealous! I've never had yeast in my pancakes, but they look so beautiful!

Anonymous said...

Another unique creation from you! *applause* ...

These look too lovely to be eaten.

Anh said...

Quail eggs must be something very popular in Asian culture. I ate a lot of those when I was kid, too!

And I love yeast pancakes. I think they have a very unique texture, which is very satisfying! And so funny, we must have similar palates. I like to combine wholemeal flour pastries with poppy seeds, too! :D

Brilynn said...

Quail eggs make everything look so elegant!

Nabeela said...

Oh gattina, they look lovely! Also, why don't you send in a picture from this entry to Bee and jai's CLICK event?

Gattina Cheung said...

notyou mean the wonderful Karnataka cuisine?! It's really wonderfully Asha!

Kalyn, oh I'm really flattered... you know only 50% from photography, Photoshop does the rest :)

Sabrina, quail eggs are sold at supermarkets and neighboor open markets, very easy to get in here. Is it the same in Sweden?

Chris, I've looked up my box and seen it didn't go expire for another month (is yours the same case?). When I was a kid I could pop in half dozen quail eggs in one go. Now I'm a bit more cautious about cholestrol in-take; will take some of the yolks out... so that I can finish one box in 2 days.

Oh Rosa sweetie, thanks for your sweet words!

Blue Zebra, caviar! An excellent idea!!! And thanks for telling me about blinis *kiss* The magazine also called it blinis, but I didn't have enough time to search more background about this little goodies, so for now just call it pancake for safe. Will look it up again later.

Simona... really miss you, know you're busy these days...

Deborah, they taste more like bread to me :) Blue Zebra just told me they actually call blinis (or blintz?), please check on internet if you're interest?

Tigerfish, the idea is from magazine, but can I still take your applause as you always make my day!

Anh, I think so too, we make good dinner buddies!
I do like poppey seeds... although I have to confess, originally I wanted black sesame seeds, but I couldn't open the jar, so... *lol*

Brilynn, you're right, contrary to your go big or go home motto though, hehee.

Nabeela, thanks for telling me about the event *kiss* This week I'm still run out of time, but will keep an eye on that wonderful blog event!

Lydia (The Perfect Pantry) said...

Beautiful photo and lovely recipe. I see quail eggs in my local Asian market all the time, but I'm embarrassed to admit that I've never cooked with them.

Kajal@aapplemint said...

wow these make the pancakes so gourmet !! nice presentation.

Anonymous said...

i love the photos! and what a great idea! asparagus and egg go well together.

Anonymous said...

Actually, asparagus with (hard) boiled eggs is a typical 'Belgian' dish. Just use melted butter with some crumbled hard boiled eggs to go with the (white) asparagus. Some parsley on top and that's it. Delicious indeed.

Mallow said...

That sounds like heaven, and looks gorgeous!

J said...

Coming here after long....hope yu've settled well. Pretty pictures!

LittleHands said...

G a t t i n a, You're Back!! Miss U!! Aiyoyo, I have missed a few of yr posting. So nice to see yr bakes/food again :-)). Hope you have settled down in yr new home :-)

Cynthia said...

This is such a fantastic breakfast treat - I mean the combo. I've never had quail eggs, what the flavour like compared to the regular eggs we get (chicken that is)

You should send one of these pics to Jugalbandi's CLICK event.

Anonymous said...

The whole dish looks gorgeous! And I'm sure it was delicious too :) I like quail eggs fried like you did below...but hard boiled with these yummy-sounding pancakes would also be great...mmmm!

Gattina Cheung said...

Lydia, many ingredients (asian or not) I haven't tried as well due to a feeling of resistence or just probably no reason at all. Now these eggs at least look "civilized" at stores, used to be stuck with bird's feathers or even poos, those were the days found at open market :)

Kate, thank you so much for your sweet words :)

Maninas, thanks for your compliment, and your visit!

Paul, thanks for telling me about that, I can imagine how simple yet delicious of this combo. For asparagus, green or white, I love them all :)

Mallow, thanks for your visit!

jyothsna, long time no "see" my ol' chap! Thanks for your regards, we're still adjusting, but so far so good :)

Jolene, oh HIiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii (jumping with joy!). Anything going on at any forum thingy? Gina or Jo? Or anything new? when you have time please update me :) Miss you too!

Cynthia, for me I feel quail egg and chicken's pretty much the same, in term of flavor and texture (adjust the cooking time). Actally, quail egg has a lighter taste to me.
But for the bird itself, I find quail tastes more close to turkey.
Thanks for telling me about CLICK, will go and check it out *hug* :)

Joey, you sweet sweet lady! I prefer hard-boiled though, most probably it brings me about my childhood the most. Thanks for your sweet words sweetie!

Anonymous said...

Good heavens! You are gifting us with such fabulous posts. And pancakes with yeast are marvelous--it's a shame people (including me) don't do them more often. Quail eggs are quite rare here--too bad for us!

Katie Zeller said...

Love quail eggs. They're so cute! And you pancakes look wonderful. 72 is a lot, even of tiny quail eggs...maybe she was having a 'little' party?!?

Anonymous said...

Oh, wow! Looks lovely. Something I've not had before. Love to try it.

Paz

Callipygia said...

People say that owners look like their dogs/cats/pets. Now your telling me that we look like our groceries... I better start carrying around some quail eggs too, cheaper than a swanky haircut!

Anonymous said...

i like quail eggs too, though hubby abhors them! yummy...

bee said...

your posts and pics are so fabulous. you could send one of your quail egg pix as an entry for CLICK, if you wish.

http://jugalbandi.info/2007/09/click-october-2007-the-theme-is/

MyKitchenInHalfCups said...

Holy moly, please I want some breakfast now. Well it's almost dinner now, let's just have it for dinner! That is really so inviting! And it would be lovely for breakfast, brunch, lunch or dinner!

LimeCake said...

savory pancakes look delicious! love the quail eggs and asparagus combination