Sunday, December 10, 2006

Easy and crunchy chicken (Indian style) in potato shells

Easy usually is not a word to describe my experience in Indian cooking, but this time I'd tell you Shaheen's Kozhi Varatiyathu (spicy chicken stir fry) pretty easy; her recipe is so easy to follow, with all the explanations I need to predict what happens next. To cook it is simply... stir fry! The flavor is absolutely fantastic and the multi-layers of texture make this dish incredibly sensational. That's enough to explain why the recipe has been passing two generations, from Shynee's mom to herself, the original authors.

This chicken stir fry uses a lot of shallot (2 cups! Please listen to Shaheen, the more the merrier!). Shaheen marinated the chicken with lemon juice briefly first in order to get rid of any meaty odor (which I find particularly strong in those non-organic/non-free-ranged chickens). I've also heard that Jewish people do their chicken the same way to drain out the blood (please correct me if I'm wrong)...

Shaheen's recipe is very well-written and definitely a keeper. My husband loves this dish so much that he's already expected having it (usually with rice) at least once a week! Now with the holiday's season coming, I've tried to make it as finger food: spoonfuls of chicken in potato shells (the top photo). I did the shells by piping mashed potato in well-greased tart tins, then baked them in a medium-hot oven until golden brown. But I didn't like them to be cooled off prior unmoulding; food always tastes better when it's hot. So next round I may use hollowed-out potato skin instead.

22 comments:

Anonymous said...

so nice to see u back. i was missing u! i love ur twist on the chicken and thanks for all ur sweet words.:). absolutely inovative idea. I am surely going to try it at my next party.

Anonymous said...

Beautiful and delicious as always! :)

I am glad you could participate in WHB despite the PC crash! :)

Anonymous said...

Thise look great! Nice recipe!
Ciao.

Unknown said...

Arh Gattina, I see your PC's up and running. Such beautiful potato shells *drooling big time*

Anonymous said...

yum, something I wish I had had for dinner! Lovely recipe.

Anonymous said...

Gattina, as usual your recipe and photography makes me feel so hungry! For everyday eating I think I'd just have it with rice too, but the tip about making piped shells of mashed potato to hold the chicken is also a wonderful idea if you have guests!

Anonymous said...

Gattina, the potato shells look so cute and yummy!

I bet they are wonderful with many different types of filling!

My husband is like yours about food - when he likes a dish, I have to prepare it all the time... :D

Anonymous said...

Looks wonderful,Gattina! Mouthwatering recipe and presentation.Good job my friend:))

Gattina Cheung said...

Shaheen, I just don't feel thanking you enough for this wonderful recipe! I'll forsee this dish be a big hit in my next party :D

Anh, yes, just on time... phew! :D

Sabrina, grazie!

Angie, still not smooth, barely hanging in there... but thanks!

Bea, thanks! Yes, I expect all happy faces at the dinner table because of this dish!

Ellie, I'll try pairing the potato shells with other things else, and see if I have a better result.
Ah-yes, I'm a very rice person (or bread, noodles... anything high-carb)

Patricia, I can tell your husband and mine have lovely personality!

Asha, thank you for the encouragement!

Anonymous said...

hi Gattina! I never try indian cooking, if it is simple I can try this. Thanks!

Anonymous said...

This looks so yummy, Gattina! I love the idea of the mashed potato cups as well. I'd bet this chicken would be good in phylo shells too. Yummy :D

Anonymous said...

I like that you made potato shells, (even if they didn't turn out quite as you expected), these look like perfect party food.

Anonymous said...

looks so great Gattina as usual

Kalyn Denny said...

Your husband is a lucky man! This does sound just fantastic and as usual your photos are beautiful.

Edith said...

must tell myself that I cannot check into your blog when I am hungry. Help!!! *running off to the kitchen*

Anonymous said...

This is so pretty! too beautiful to be eaten. glad to have u back here, i can start to drool again! :)

Anonymous said...

This looks so pretty, loved the potato shell idea, loved Saheen's original recipe too

Anonymous said...

This looks so pretty, loved the potato shell idea, loved Saheen's original recipe too

Anonymous said...

I love the potato shells, it really adds something to the dish.

~ L. K. said...

Kosher and halal butchering is done by exsanguination, or draining the blood. It's healthier than how most slaughterhouses do it, at least in the U.S.A. It's a little more time-consuming, which is why I think most slaughterhouses don't us that method. Just to let you know!

Are there any extra chemicals in non-free range or non-organic chicken? It may also be due to how they were raised and fed.

I like reading a lot on the science of food and food business. The technicalities of it.

I also love you blog a lot! Everything is so beautiful!

charlis said...

Hi, Gattina-

I love our blog. It's beautiful and you put such unique twists on things.I have saved several of your recipes to try later.

However, I can't save this recipe as there is no recipe. I did a search for "Shaheen" but didn't find her blog.

Please, when you refer to someone's recipe could you provide a link?

Thanks, Charlis

Charlis said...

Please forgive my previous post. The links weren't obvious on my browser and I only just now discovered one by passing my cursor over it. Now I realize they're all over the place!