Wednesday, April 29, 2009

Almond Milk Pudding (vegetarian)

almond pudding

Almond Milk Pudding, garnish with strawberries. The milk is from the first pressing, enriched with flavor and all-white color.

If you don't know what agar-agar is, think of gelatin but in a vegan-friendly form. Some gelatin can contain slaughter by-products but agar-agar is derived from seaweed.

This pudding is made out of dairy-free almond milk (home-made), thickened by agar-agar.

I remember agar-agar dessert was very, very popular in Singapore (and also its neighbor countries), not sure if it relates to the significant portion of population who don't consume a certain kind of animal meat. Anyway, they made amazing agar-agar desserts. Just for this already worth my staying.

We use gelatin and agar-agar the same way. Which is better? For me, I'm totally on agar-agar!

Agar-agar jelly is slightly firmer and gummier, it definitely gives out a better "mouth-feel".

Besides using with the traditional fruit juice like pineapple or orange, it goes particularly well with coconut milk. It doesn't limit itself in sweet treat, agar-agar strips are commonly added into (savory) salad because people simply enjoy the chrunchy texture.

About a month ago, markets in Barcelona started selling strawberries. They were a bit tasteless back then. Now another supply just arrived, maybe they are now in their peak (?), that's why they are so sweet... and inexpensive (for 2 euros I got a small wood case). Can't wait to use them in this dessert :) :)

almond pudding1
The milk is made from the 2-nd pressing (repeating the process as followed), the flavor is just sufficient but it doesn't have much white color

Recipe of Almond Milk
(yield 1 1/2 cups)
  • 1/2 cup of almond, blanched
  • 2 cups of water
  • 1/8 cup white sugar (for less sweet)
  • almond extract (optional... for more bold flavor)
  1. Process the almond with the water, and soak overnight
  2. On the next day, pour the almond mixture through a tea towel to another container. Sneeze the towel very tight and try to sneeze out all the milk.
  3. Mix it with sugar and bring it to boil. Taste.

Recipe of Almond Milk Pudding

yield: 2 - 3 persons

  • 1 1/2 cups almond milk
  • 1 1/8 teaspoons agar-agar powder (for firmer texture, goes to 1 1/2 tsps)

In a small pot, whisk the almond milk and agar to combine, bring them to boil until the agar dissolves. Pour the mixture into containers, after they cool off, chill in the fridge until they set, that may take 1 or 2 hours.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

19 comments:

Finla said...

Beautiful and delicous, i have sen agar agar in asian shops, but never bought them, next time i am going to buy agar agar and make this yummy dessert.

Rosa's Yummy Yums said...

What a pretty and delicious dessert! I love the color contrast...

Cheers,

Rosa

Dominique said...

Never tried almond milk. Your desser looks so delicious. I'll try to find agar-agar. Thank you...

FH said...

I love Agar Agar, makes very refreshing dessert. Pudding looks divine!:)

I made something similar with Almond but in the Microwave, called Rabri in India.

Anonymous said...

Wow... it looks incredible! Nice photoes!
Ciao.
Orchidea

anna said...

I think strawberries are getting better everywhere. I haven't used agar agar before but I'd love to try it. Eventually inspiration will strike so hard that I'll wander out to the store for some. :)

indosungod said...

Wow, What a beauty. I have almonds and I have gelatin. Gelatin should work?

Kay said...

Wow!! I was just thinking of making coconut milk pudding when I saw your almond milk pudding. Will give it a try soon.

Lavanya said...

lovely clicks..yummy dessert..i will give a try!!

Callipygia said...

I love the almond gelatin at Chinese restaurants, I've only made it with gelatin never with agar agar or from real almonds. this is so beautiful with the berries. Have fun making gorgeous berry desserts!

Lisa Turner said...

Gorgeous presentation! Always a pleasure to follow up on your culinary adventures.

Katie Zeller said...

I am not at all familiar with agar-agar - although I've heard of it... No idea what it would be in French. Last week I bought expensive boring strawberries... This week... cheap, tasty! Love 'em
And your dessert is so pretty!

Pia said...

It looks like panacotta. (that I love)
I've never used Agar-agar, but now I'm really curious about it.
One more thing in my list of things to try. That list is getting really long.

Susan from Food Blogga said...

Those colors are truly stunning, Gattina. I love puddings so much; I know I'll have to try this one.

Ana said...

Oh, wow, the pudding looks so delicious, and I love almond milk!
I have made mine before (so easy!) but right now I have some store bought one, have you made it using that? It should work too, right?
I will make it this weekend, can't wait!!
Ana

Jack Sparrow 007 said...

wow my mouth is watering reading your blog. Some wonderful stuff here.

Edith said...

This is one of my favourite pudding. But I can never be like you that patient for freshly squeezed almond milk.

Anonymous said...

fantastic! this brings back memories of my indonesian grandma and her classic fruity agar-agar desserts.

your recipes are mouth-watering.

sabina

Homegrown Healthy said...

Can't wait until strawberry season so that I can try this.