Monday, March 12, 2007

Shrimp ricotta tortelet with poached mango

To bake this savory cheese cake has no rocket science, but the guarantee of superior flavor comes from fresh ricotta cheese. Now I'm just talking about in the States, never ever try to use store-bought ricotta regardless what the brand is. They have nothing resemble to the fresh one that I bought from an Italian grocer. Even it easily costs double than most store-bought's, with its genuine taste of premium milk and delectable creaminess, you know it worth every penny! Poached mango is a further compliment to this delicate tortelet, so I have no intention to add a crust, but please do so if it fits your taste. And feel free to replace the specified vegetable with aspargus, mushroom or even fresh peas when they're in season.

Recipe (yield 5 muffin-size tortelet)
  • 1/2 cup + 2 Tbps fresh ricotta
  • 1 Tpb Parimigiano-Reggiano
  • 2 large eggs
  • 2 Tbps butter
  • 1 shallot, diced
  • 1/4 cup zucchini, diced
  • 1/4 cup leek, diced
  • 1/4 cup shrimps, diced
  • 3 sun dried tomatoes, blanched, diced
  • salt
  • white pepper
  • for poaching mango: 1 large mango*, white wine, water, Damerara sugar
  • for garnish: mint leaves and chopped pistachio
*the mango I bought is import from Peru, which is firmer but less sweet than the ones I found in Asia Direction:
  • My fresh ricotta comes with a container that already has drain hole, so the cheese is already drained pretty good. Or you can lay a piece of cheese cloth over a sieve, place ricotta on the cheese cloth, cover the top, let it drain overnight.
  • Push ricotta through a fine sieve so that it'll be smoother. Combine it with Parmigano-Reggiano and eggs. Set aside. In the meantime pre-heat the oven to 350F.
  • Pre-heat a skillet, melt the butter, add shallot, zucchini and leeks, add a pinch of salt, brown them for 1 minute, add shrimp, tomatoes and a dash of white pepper, turn the heat off (the shrimps don't need to be cooked as they will be baked later). Set them aside and let cool off a bit.
  • Line the muffin-tray with parchment paper or use muffin cup. Combine the cheese mixture with the shrimp mixture, spoon them into the tray, bake for 15 minutes. During baking, proceed poaching mango
  • Peel the mango, remove the big seed, slice into strips. Bring some water and white wine (1:1) to simmer, add sugar (adjust the amount according to how sweet your wine and your mango). Put the mango in and poach until it slightly soft. Mine took 5 minutes.
  • Once the tortlets are done, place them on a serving place, spoon poached mango on the side, garnish with mint leaves and chopped pistachio. Serve hot.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

33 comments:

Susan from Food Blogga said...

What an innovative recipe, Gattina! When I was growing up in RI, many Italian women made ricotta pies at Easter time, but I don't recall seeing a savory type like yours. I'll have to share this one with my mom. It's just lovely.

Callipygia said...

I've never had fresh ricotta but heard that it is completely different from commercially made. Hope to try some especially for this. Beautiful.

Mishmash ! said...

YUM! I might omit the shrimp though!Lovely pic as usual :)

Shn

Anonymous said...

Wow, the colors are so beautiful! This recipe has such a mix of unique flavors and delicious ingredients, I bet it tasted divine!

Anh said...

Gattina, this is surely veru good. I love ricotta, I mean fresh ricotta :). I live in the area where cheese of good quality (esp. feta)is easy to get. Can't get enough of it, though. :)

Anonymous said...

This is so great...I love ricotta cheese...and as much as I eat it, I have never had fresh ricotta. I have to look into places here that may sell it.

Anonymous said...

Wonderful post Gattina.. As Always your presentation are wonderful.

-Sushma

Meeta K. Wolff said...

I love ricotta and I love mangoes. So this is a wonderful dish. Love your presentation too.

Saffron said...

I agree with you: fresh ricotta is better! You made something great with ricotta!Have a nice day!

Anonymous said...

This looks absolutely amazing! I've never had savoury cheesecake before but the idea intruiges me!

Melting Wok said...

That looks wonderfully cheesy & good !! Love that shrimp sitting nicely on top of it, nice :)

FH said...

Ricotta cheese and Mango!! You are killing me!!GORGEOUS combo.

Mandira said...

Gattina - I am enjoying looking at the pictures from the last few posts that I missed. You are really creative. Wonderful recipes and pictures :)

MyKitchenInHalfCups said...

I made my own fresh ricotta about a year ago and hands down it was the best I'd ever had!
I love the idea of the savory cheesecake!!
Divine!!

Bong Mom said...

Lovely presentation Gattina...but then all your presentations are so good that there is nothing else that can be said :)

Anonymous said...

anything with mango and shrimp in the same dish is a winner in my book!

Patricia Scarpin said...

OMG, Gattina!! Is this super classy or what?? :)

You and your delicious recipes!! I always want to try some of your food!

Anonymous said...

That looks sensational. Always something unique and utterly brilliant happening at your foodstuff blog.

Sia said...

what a lovely pic gattina. can i omit shrimps here and make a veggie dish?

Anonymous said...

my dear Gattina, your last recipes are all fantastic,: fresch, with colour, light and healthy. My favorite recipes are this tortelet, the prok-leek rolls and the perfect almond braided bread. Bravissima!

p.s. more regards to you, ypur husband and your sweet daughter, baci :-)

Anonymous said...

Gattina this is wonderful! I will have to keep my eyes open for fresh ricotta.

Linda said...

my goodness this looks amazingly delicious and unique. i can't wait to try. i love mango and haven't had it in so long. yum!

Anonymous said...

What a fascinating recipe. It looks soooo good!

Anonymous said...

Lovely recipe with a touch of creativity! Gattina, The fork looks poised ,I'm ready for a bite..:)

Anonymous said...

mango? did anyone say mango? You know that's my favorite! Your dish sounds divine! Yum!

Paz

Anonymous said...

Your ricotta tortelet looks beautiful Gattina! And smashing blend of flavors with the ricotta, veggies, shrimp, and mango...Mmmmm! I made similar ricotta cakes for this round of HHDD too :) I really like them! I only wish I had access to fresh ricotta! Perhaps I will just have to make my own someday...

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...

How delicious! There's nothing finer than working with fresh ricotta.

Anonymous said...

Gattina,

I love anything with ricotta. Well done!

Seema Bhat said...

Gattina,
If there was voting for a blog with b est presentation I would always and always vote for you. God yet again amazing presentation. Lovely, can't keep my eyes away from them.
Hugs
Seema

Anonymous said...

i guess it's time to trek down the fresh ricotta! scrumptious presentation as always, Gattina!

leonine194 said...

wow it's so sweet to see & i'm sure so delicious!

Barbara said...

A brilliant entry. I'm warming to the idea of savoury cheesecake now. Thanks for entering.