Saturday, September 13, 2008

Butternut squash dip for skewered garlic, shrimp & veg

Use (hollow out) small decorative squash as a container for the butternut squash dip
I have been living abroad for 9 years by now. All this time (up to last week) I hadn't bumped into anyone from HongKong. It seemed odd to me, considering that Chinese were almost everywhere.

Last week I met a blond lady while helping her baby stroller to get off a bus. She's totally in awe after she knew that I'm from Hongkong, because so is she! What? A Caucasian (although it is not uncommon some of them grew up in Hongkong)? But what a chance to met one in Barcelona, but not in China Town in New York or something...

If there's a thick diary in everyone's head, I knew mine was madly flipping that moment, back and forth... no idea which page to start, where to stop...

I am not talking about food I know...
Just let you know, I have fatigue recently, properly due to running into too many places or the other round of Spanish course. Weight drops, appetite drops. I feel I need to prepare something special, without any fuss at the same time.

Quick-n-easy (no oven), flavorful, nourishing and moist.
Broke a few small cloves of garlic, fried them (bake them if your time allows). Sauteed the shrimps and radish in the garlic-infused oil. Skewered these ingredients and went with the creamy butternut squash. I was instantly recharged!

Recipe of butternut squash dip (for 2 servings)

please note that the following amounts are only eye-balled, adjust them according to your cooking style and your taste.

  • 1 1/2 cups fresh butternut squash, peeled, cubed
  • 1/2 small white onion, chopped
  • 1 clove of garlic, diced
  • some vegetable stock
  • spoonfuls of cream cheese
  • 1 Tbp of pine nut, chopped
  • thyme leaves from 1 sprig
  • sea salt
  • olive oil

How to:

  • Pre-heat a small pot, drizzle enough olive oil, saute the garlic and onion over medium-low heat for a minute or 2. Throw in a pinch of salt, then raise up the heat, add in butternut squash. Cook for a few minutes, stir in vegetable stock just enough to cover the squash.
  • Close the lid and cook it over medium-low heat for 3 - 5 minutes, check the done-ness and the liquid level (we don't need it much; raise up the heat and cook with lid open if necessary).
  • When it is totally done, taste and season, stir in cream cheese according to your own taste. Turn off the heat.
  • Add the pine nuts. Process to puree.

To prepare the skewered garlic, shrimps and radish

In a small/medium skillet depending how much food you cook, add oil up to 1-cm high. Pre-heat the oil (hot but not too much).

I used small-sized cloves of garlic, with skin on. Fry them over low heat for 3 minutes or until they just turn golden color. Drain well.

Use a little bit of the garlic-infused oil to saute the shrimps and radish (quartered). After they're almost done, salt to taste.

Skewer the garlic cloves, shrimps and radish with a satay stick. Thyme and organic flower as garnish. Place the butternut squash dip on side to serve. Garlic is my most favorite in this recipe, although the others go very well with the dip as well.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

26 comments:

Anh said...

How lovely and simple, too! I miss my kitchen but I cannot settle down for anything yet. But you are always my inspiration, Gattina!

Anita said...

it looks so beautiful but you make it sound so simple!

sunita said...

All my favourite ingredients in that dip...so beautiful :-)

Rosa's Yummy Yums said...

A delicious looking dip! Very original and pretily presented!

Cheers,

Rosa

Marija said...

So beautiful!

indosungod said...

Gattina that looks so beautiful. Would make a squash lover out of anybody.

Ginny said...

Looks great! So delicious!

Lydia (The Perfect Pantry) said...

Wonderful combination of flavors, and beautiful presentation!

redmenace said...

This is a wonderful idea. Such lovely presentation too!

MyKitchenInHalfCups said...

That is over the top eye ball beauty.
And butternuts are going to be in all the markets now. This is really lovely Gattina. Fatique is such a bore but this is wonderfully exciting. Hope you're feeling better now.

Alanna Kellogg said...

Ha! I read your first line, "I've been living aboard for ..." and couldn't help but think, She lives on a boat? Well, of course not, but I was especially impressed with the photo setup if you really were on a boat! PS Still impressed!

Shari said...

Stunning photos for a delicious soup!

Shari said...

Oops, I meant to write dip, not soup!

Callipygia said...

Boy even in your sleep, you can throw elements simply and elegantly together. How delightful to meet a fellow HKer!

bee said...

beautiful recipe. thanks, gattina.

Anonymous said...

I absolutely love this presentation, and this makes me so excited for fall!

ChichaJo said...

That looks delicious...I love butternut squash, although we don't often get it here. I have some pureed and stashed away in the freezer though :) Just right for this!

Lore said...

This sounds really delicious and I love that you used sone pine nuts too.
Beautiful photos!

Sheetal Kiran said...

What a pretty presentation! And so simple all at the same time.

Sheetal Kiran said...

PS: I have added you to my blogroll, hope that's okay.

Anonymous said...

looks very healthy and appetizing!

Anonymous said...

Looks delicious!

Take care of yourself. Sending you good thoughts.

Paz

Susan from Food Blogga said...

I love the presentation of the dip in the hollowed out squash. I'm sure it's as delicious as it is pretty. And here's hoping you don't get too tired out. Take care!

Cynthia said...

Your presentations are always inspiring and outstanding.

Anonymous said...

This sounds so fresh and delightful. The color of the dip is perfect for Fall and the skewers are so fresh! Beautiful plating! We would love to feature your recipe on our kitchen digital recipe reader. Please email me at sophiekiblogger@gmail.com if you're interested. Have a great weekend!

Anonymous said...

Your photographs are all so well styled -- Very impressive!

Shelly,
Nibbles of Tidbits