Tuesday, March 06, 2007

Home-made skewer pasta with sausage & leek

"There must be another type resemble yours", my husband kind of consoled me while I was mumbling about how my pasta so different from skewer maccheroni. There are numerous hollow pasta in a variety of shapes, right, I should be able to find one that matches. Consolation accepted. Shaping this pasta calls for square skewer (to rock the thin dough) which I don't have. I don't like keep buying new tool unless I know I'll use it often, or someone buys me a bigger house. Still given it a try (see photo on left), just to get a feeling from it first. The pasta couldn't wrap up as desired but the work was easy-breezy, pasta had an excellent texture too. Now I'm convinced, I'll buy a square skewer. This week the temperature suddenly drops a lot; I wanted to eat something rich... so here I presenting this dish - pasta with Italian sausage and leek, mixed with egg yolks and Parmigiano-Reggiano - and sending this entry to Ruth for her Presto Pasta Night.

Recipe: (yield 2 servings)

  • 2 servings skewer pasta. I used home-made (the first recipe)
  • 2 links Italian sausages, removed casting, crumble
  • 1 leek, removed the green leaves, washed, roughly chopped
  • spoonfuls dry white wine
  • 2 egg yolks, light beat (I like adding spoonful of milk/cream; easier to whisk)
  • Parmigiano-Reggiano, grated
  • salt and pepper

Direction:

  • To make your own skewer pasta, please check Lidia Bastianich's site
  • Pre-heat a skillet, saute the sausage over low heat, I don't add oil as the sausage would release quite a bit.
  • In the meantime, cook the pasta. Please plan the timing ahead first... my home-made pasta took less than 3 minutes to cook, and I want the saute (in the following) and the pasta done the same time.
  • When the sausage is almost done, raise the heat to medium, add leeks, a pinch of salt and oil if needed, in the next 30 seconds, add wine, saute until everything cooked.
  • Drain the pasta, immidately drop them in a large mixing bowl and combine with egg yolks, a pinch of salt and cheese. Then fold in sausage and leek. Serve the pasta on a warm plate. Pepper and more cheese to taste.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

27 comments:

Ruth Daniels said...

Gattina, you are too cool! I, of course am too lazy to make my own skewered pasta but it looks awesome and a delicious looking sauce, I might add.

Thanks for sharing.

Anh said...

These look wonderful. The pasta and also the sauce... You are so talented and creative! *drool*

Lydia (The Perfect Pantry) said...

Love love love this skewer pasta! The sauce sounds delicious, too.

Callipygia said...

I think you have a fan club going- these are so fabulous looking, square skewered or not. I love lidia too!

MyKitchenInHalfCups said...

I saw this technique when I tried making my own pasta and thought at the time I must try this soon. I think yours looks lovely! Sauce sound yummy.

Patricia Scarpin said...

My dear friend, you are so skilled and talented I don't even have words to comment!

Your pasta skewers are perfect, a lot more beautiful than the Barilla maccheroni I have here. ;)

Brilynn said...

That's it, I'm making some pasta tomorrow! I only hope mine resemble yours!

Anonymous said...

I had not even heard of skewered pasta...but I'd definitely like to try it and other recipes featured here. Your blog is exquisite. The food looks delicious...

Freya said...

The pasta looks so good! Homemade pasta tastes the best!

Peabody said...

Your pasta shaping is the best. Come over and make some for me.

FH said...

Yum! Yum!! Sausage and Pasta are the best combination.I don't know if I want to make Pasta at home,looks like work.I have got try though:)
Looks great G,your family is lucky.

Anonymous said...

There you go! You may have created a new shape of pasta, kitchen innovation in the best form :)! Like you said, the texture looks perfect, yum!

Anonymous said...

Gattina dear,Missed out on your blog for so long, your New layout is looking so colourful and bright! lovely picture that's so tempting,hmmmm can't control my craving:)

Anonymous said...

So impressive! I love your homemade pastas :) And this one's another great sounding flavor combination...yummy!

Mishmash ! said...

Gattina, making pasta at home itself is a big affair and I dont see any imperfections there.U re very patient!! Ur family is lucky to have home made pastas :)

Shn

Lis said...

Gattina - I love the shape of your pasta - I want to make some for myself! The recipe sounds yummy as well :D

xoxo

Susan from Food Blogga said...

Sorry, your method wasn't what you wanted it to be. They sure do look perfect to me though! I've never tried making this particular type of pasta, but I'll take your advice and go to Lidia's site. I always refer to her for pasta recipes. Thanks for sharing another delicious pasta recipe.

Chris said...

I don't know if I have heard of skewered pasta. But, this looks like truly authentic "old country" pasta. Yumm! Seconds, please...

Saffron said...

darling you're great at making pasta! ..I'm so hungry now I can't look anymore at your pictures!
Baci

Gattina Cheung said...

Ruth, thanks for hosting the event again!

Sher, tv impossible; I'm not gay, and I'm not connected *lol* But your sweet words certainly make my day :D

Anh, thanks sweetie!

Lydia, yes, the sauce is lovely, quite rich though.

Callipygia, I don't know much about Lidia... I mean I sort of aware of her having some shows on some channels, but haven't watched them. Until I picked up one of her book recently, she is good! Very passionate in food indeed!

Tanna, please let me know when you make yours! :D

Patricia, I will keep an eye on Barilla maccheroni when I go to store next time... my golly, there're just too many shapes there...

Brilynn, doesn't matter, whatever shape you made, I know they must be tasty!

WindWhisperer, what a pretty blog name! Thanks for dropping by!

Freya, agree!

Peabody, thanks sweetie! I really want to come over... follow the geese, leave the winter here behind...

Asha, thanks for your encouragement! It isn't any work for me, but I know, dried pasta everywhere, and they're good!

Monisha, thank you! You're right, by the end, the taste is the matter :D

Lera, always happy to see you, anytime! *hug*

Joey, thank you for your sweet words :D

Shn, thanks for your encouragment :D

Lis, no no no, I'll make you some... and swap with your Pad Thai :D

Susan, thank you! I haven't watched any Lidia's tv show, but her books look good to me :D

Chris, oh I love your description 'old country'! Thank you!

Simona, grazie! I know, only look at pasta, any kind, I'll feel hungry again!

Anonymous said...

Your pasta looks great! Very good job.
Ciao.

s'kat said...

That is beautiful. I can't wait to see you in action with the square skewers!

Shah cooks said...

wow! i love ur new collection of home made pasts. i am little short on time nowadays but i do so badly want to try it. nice recipes as usual!

Mar said...

Delicious!!!

bluezebra said...

Gattina I find something new to marvel at everyday on your blog. I only found your blog recently and being able to go read a bit more each day is a treat to me. You make my eyes and mind happy with your lovely, whimsical presentations and delicate approach to cooking. I love your common sense, "lean kitchen" approach (without a lot of superfluous tools and electric stuff) - I too do most of my stuff by hand (except a food processor now and again).

Today my inspiration is your skewer pasta! Beauties! I will be making these soon I hope (maybe even tonight I will make a sacrifice to the "kitchen gods" in your honor! :D )

Gattina Cheung said...

bluezebra,
really thanks for your sweet comment! It's one of the greatest encouragement to me in cooking and blogging *hug*
I'd love to see your dish (or any of yours!), but please take your time. And kindly let me know once your blog is up :)

Lucy..♥ said...

I came across this photo and that pasta reminded me so much of my Mom who would make a very similar pasta. Boy, that brought back a lot of memories. ;-)