Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Lots, & lots of breads...

Photobucket

Front: Mediterrean rolls Left: Hongkong rolls

vistabread2

The dough requires longer time (and lower temperature) in fermentation actually giving me more flexibility.

One pair of hand. One oven. One morning. I have made lots and lots of bread for 45 people. I would like to share my experience in planning:
  • Days ahead I already did one dough (enough for half of the people), then freeze it. This bread should have high moisture (good for baking ahead and reheating), so I suggest focaccia or my "friday rolls".
  • The day before the "big" day, I defrozed the dough and baked the bread. After they completely cooled off, sealed them well and kept at fridge.
  • The night before the "big" morning, I did another dough but it was no-knead bread. I have to free myself more time for more important work instead of spending time on kneading. The dough was rest in fridge overnigh.
  • One the "big" day's morning, I baked the no-knead bread, reheated the rolls, (took photos :):) and packed.
  • One key, made all the bread into tiny rolls. For home oven, always bake one tray at a time, but the rolls are so small so take less than 10 minutes, therefore the next tray can go in quick.

I have made mediterrean rolls (with different flavors) and Hongkong green onion-n-ham rolls. You guess which the people like the best?

vistabread1

7 comments:

Rosa's Yummy Yums said...

Scrumptious looking! I cannot live without bread...

Cheers,

Rosa

Edith said...

I am into bread making lately too. Love to try yours soon.

E. said...

That is a lot of bread!! To bake so much bread for so many people....that is such a big feat. I admire your courage in trying that out. Not only did you make so many, the bread also looks beautiful still. Big quantity and good quality. :D Will you be sharing the recipe?

Mhel said...

I'm sure they love the Hong Kong bread :)

Ellie @ Kitchen Wench said...

Gattina, that's quite a feat! I have trouble planning meals for anything more than 10 people, the idea of baking for 45 of them makes me break out in a cold sweat! The tips are great, but will you feature the recipes too? :)

lena said...

so much breads and they look awesome. Really beautiful and great pictures! are those friday rolls from your recipe list?

Gattina Cheung said...

thanks for everyone sweet comment! You guys mean a lot to me!

Mhel, you are correct :):)

Hi Esther, Ellie and lena, the "friday rolls" and "no-knead" bread recipes can be found on the side bar. Happy baking!