Thursday, June 22, 2006

Fried ricotta pasta with Indira's red bell pepper chutney

My husband told me his mother, an Italian American, used to fried some dough as snack, like this fried ricotta pasta. It reminds me pretty much of Indian puri (puffed flat bread), with the same crispy skin outside and tender chewy crumb inside. And today I also wanted something a bit spicy and tangy; I went trying Indira's red bell pepper chutney, which I found made a great dip for this fried pasta. I'd recommend you going to Indira's blog to look at her original chutney, the color and texture are excellent!

Recipe for fried ricotta pasta

Ingredients (yield 6 - 8 bread)

  • 1-2/3 cups all-purpose (plain) flour
  • 5 Tablespoons whole-milk ricotta
  • 1 egg yolk
  • some whole milk
  • a dash of salt and pepper

Steps

  1. In a bowl, mix ricotta, yolk, salt and pepper. Add a bit of milk to thin it out.
  2. Combine the flour with the ricotta mixture, add more milk (little by little) if necessary until a dough is formed.
  3. Rest the dough for half an hour
  4. Divide the dough to small balls (6 to 8 pieces), flour the work table, and roll the ball to a 2mm-thick flat dough. If the dough resists to spread, rest it for 5 minutes (covered) then continue rolling.
  5. Pre-heat some oil (about 5 - 6 cm deep), fried the dough over medium/medium-high heat until it turns golden brown.
If you like to make this fried ricotta salad "bowl", roll the dough as thin (but manageable) as possible. Cut out a small piece of dough and drap it into a mini sieve (the one with a long handle), place another sieve on top of the dough, then go deep-frying. After the "bowl" is fried and cooled, fill it with salad and chutney.

11 comments:

Unknown said...

Gattina, this is lovely, once again. I always like your food bowls.

Btw, you really do like Indian cuisine ya ;p

Sowjanya said...

Thats really a delicious dish.I like it.

Krithika said...

Oh wow ! They do look like puris. Chutney looks good too.

archana said...

Nice photos as usual Gattina, i liked the first photo the most, that purple shred of cabbage enhance all the other colors in the pic. Good job!!!!

Anonymous said...

pretty :)

Lis said...

This looks fabulous.. thank you for sharing it :D

Unknown said...

Greetings from Copenhagen! Hi Gattina :)

Gattina Cheung said...

sowjanya, thank you :)

krithika, I think so, this fried dough and puri look the same.

Archanat, thanks for your kind words. That shot is one of my very few ones has so many colors (not feeling too comfortable... just my taste), but will keep trying, seems the result quite ok.

even, thank you :)

connie, oh hi!!! Thanks for your visit! I guess you also own a blog, but I'm unable to access to it though...

lis, you're welcome!

Angie, what a surprise *waiting a handkerchief* Have any chance to taste the local cookies and pastries?

Unknown said...

Gattina, had some really good danish pastries from a bakery. As for cookies, haven found any worth buying yet. Oh, Lurpak butter is everywhere *lol*. Can´t wait to get home to upload the pics, and get bk to my kitchen. I´m missing asian food :(

Gattina Cheung said...

Angie,
I know I know, enough "carrots" for this donkey here *grumble*... kekeee...
When you stay in London, I bet you'll cry for Asian food! So where are you now?

Unknown said...

Gattina, I´m still in Copenhagen, flight to Stockholm, Sweden is on Saturday morning, then will arrive in London Sunday late night. The weather here sucks, gloomy and chilly :(