Sunday, August 31, 2008

Tomato & edam open-sandwich with flavored oil

Now I am looking at numerous flavored oils authored by Ann Kleinberg, I just wish I had my herb garden back (I had one when lived in New Jersey) as her collection is just amasing, from lemongrass & lime, cilantro to orange spice oil!
Combining two of Ann's recipes (rosemary & thyme oil, plus walnut oil), I made one cup of thyme & almond infused oil. One cup sounds like a lot, but tell you, after dashing some on sandwich, stirring in butternut squash soup, and tossing with bread bits to make croutons, I am ready for another cup. So should I start a herb garden? I think I should!

Recipe of Thyme and Almond Oil

(recipes based on Rosemary, Lemon and Thyme Oil and Walnut Oil, from the book of Flavored Oils & Vinegars, authored by Ann Kleinberg)

  • 1/2 cup sweet almond kernels
  • thyme leaves from (about) 15 sprigs
  • 1 cup olive oil (original recipe uses canola oil)
  1. Preheat oven to 300F/150C. Pour the oil in a two-cup-sized oven-proof glass cup, add the thyme leaves. Place the cup in a larger baking plate and heat for 1 1/2 hours. Let it cool off.
  2. Dry roast the almond in a skillet over medium heat for a few minutes, to give off the aroma. Process it with 1/4 cup (still warm) thyme-infused oil, then let it sit for a day in order to absorb more nutty flavor. Strain it through cheesecloth, combine it with the remaining thyme oil, store in a bottle in the fridge.

Recipe of Tomato & Edam Open-Sandwich (for one single serving)

  • Two big slices (about 8 -inch long) of country bread of superb quality
  • 4 slices of edam
  • tomato of your choice, in season, sliced
  • flavored oil, e.g. thyme & almond oil
  • a bit of fine sea salt and ground pepper
  • fresh thyme

Toast the bread with cheese on top. Until they are done, arrange the tomato slices, add a pinch of salt and pepper, generously dizzle some flaovred oil over, garnish with fresh thyme.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

18 comments:

Cynthia said...

I am all smiles as I gaze upon your creations and renew my love for your blog. It is so good to have you back!

Rosa's Yummy Yums said...

I'm ever so happy to see that you are back with a wonderful recipe and gorgeous photos!

cheers,

Rosa

Anonymous said...

I love the idea of the flavored oils. And the sandwich looks scrumptious! WELCOME BACK!

Paz xxoo

Lydia (The Perfect Pantry) said...

Having an herb garden will change your life -- well, it will change your cooking life, anyway! I make all sorts of infused oils with the fresh herbs (especially thyme and rosemary) from my garden.

The Blonde Duck said...

You were nominated for Culinary Artist Appreciation Day at the Pond! Stop by my blog to see the results!

Anonymous said...

If starting an herb garden is a possibility definitely go for it! We planted a small one in July and every day I'm glad we did. :)

MyKitchenInHalfCups said...

How I would love that sandwich about right now. Really beautiful.
I always feel rich when I don't have to buy fresh herbs for $4 in a wilted little pouch.
Flavored oils let you sort of store a little bit of the fresh.

Proud Italian Cook said...

Simplicity at it's absolute best! And a stunning photo!

Anonymous said...

welcome back Gattina! i just bought walnut oil and couldn't wait to use it for anything :)

Gattina Cheung said...

Cynthia, same smile in here when I see your sweet comment!

Rosa, I always happy to hear from you as well :)

Paz, have you been feeling better? Didn't comment much at your blog although I have been catching up on your guest writers. I hope to see you back very soon!

Lydia, it is what I dream for as well... a herb garden, and array of infused oil bottle, plus a new venture in cooking! so envious of you having all by now :D

Blonde Duck, oh I am completely flattered!!! Thanks millions for nominating me, really a honor!

Ari, thanks for the encouragement! I think I will visit the plant wholesalers tomorrom :)

Tanna, I am totally with you!

Proud Italian Cook, thank you so much for the comment.

Eliza, I love all these nut oils, but they cost a bomb here. Is it so in your country?

Callipygia said...

Welcome back, I've missed you! The sandwich is reinvented w/ your sophisticated touch...today I was just talking about making some green herb oil. Now I must!

Lore said...

That combo sounds mighty good and look at these sandwiches, so classy!
I know what you mean about missing your herb garden, I miss it every single day :(

Anonymous said...

I think it is a great idea to start your herb garden again, it is so much fun to cook with fresh herbs and you get so creative.
I would like to recommend a web site called Artistic Gardens. They sell sample seeds instead of big packs. I bought the "50 sample herb pack special" for $14. It is great! You have all the classic and some pretty strange ones too.

Lucy..♥ said...

Your sandwich is one "Scrumptious Creation"

ChichaJo said...

That looks like sunshine on a plate :) Delicious sounding oils...have always wanted to infuse my own...thanks for passing this along!

Anonymous said...

Tasty sandwich! I like the idea of using flavored oils.

We'd like to invite you to participate in our September apple and peach recipe contest (the recipe can be sweet or savory). All competitors will be eligible to win one of three prizes :)! Please email me, haleyglasco@gmail.com, if you're interested. Feel free to check out our blog for more details: http://blog.keyingredient.com/2008/08/29/september-kick-contest/

Thanks :),
Haley
KI Blogger

lubnakarim06 said...

Wow looks gr8. First time here u have a nice blog with yummy recipes.

bee said...

thank you, dear gattina, for this gorgeous recipe.