Saturday, May 03, 2008

Fresh date, yam & walnut cake

The cake is garnished with caramelized walnut and yam

There are so many one-bowl cake's recipes (batter done in one mixing bowl, or a.k.a. quick-n'-easy) out there, if we haven't tried dozens, I bet we seen a hundred. So one really able to get me into action is not easy. When I was flipping micocina - postres, a local food magazine with a fairly low printing quality, fortunately visual never bothers me so I was able to discover a couple of great recipes.

One of them, yam cake, a one-bowl recipe, consists of an old classic and a new twist.

Yam is a classic in many Asian desserts, the feeling is very "country", love it! Potato has long been used in bread recipes with execellent result, so I know this yam would do the same wonder.

About the new twist - an egg is beat until foamy (like what we do for sponge cakes), then oil is whisked in until it emulsified. Little taxing on my arm power, but the cake doesn't turn out as heavy as most other one-bowl cakes. It does worth all the time and effort.

Fresh dates quite often are available in Barcelona, their price can be less than a half of the dried ones'. I start using them more frequently in cooking and baking, especially in this recipe, the fresh dates paired so well with yam.

My cakes were baked in convection oven which I don't like very much in baking, anyway, please adjust accordingly to your oven if it's different. The cakes were well kept at least 2 days.

Fresh date, yam and walnut cake

(adapted from cake de patatas dulces published in micocina postres 05)

yields : four cup cakes and one 3.5-inch mini bundt cake

Ingredients

  • 100 g yam, shredded
  • 3 fresh dates, seeded, diced
  • 90g flour
  • 100 g sugar
  • 1 egg
  • 70 ml peanut oil
  • 70 g walnut, finely chopped
  • 1 tsp baking powder
  • 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon

How-to

  1. Grease the cake molds and pre-heat the oven to 140C
  2. Beat the egg with sugar until its pale and foamy. VERY slowly drizzle, bit by bit, the oil in and continue to beat
  3. Well combine the egg mixture with flour, baking powder, cinnamon, nut, yam and dates. Fill the cake mold with batter about 2/3 full. Bake until they turn golden brown, about 45 minutes or depending your oven.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

18 comments:

Rosa's Yummy Yums said...

Wonderful! A gorgeous combination!

Cheers,

Rosa

Lydia (The Perfect Pantry) said...

I don't find fresh dates too often in my local markets, but occasionally in specialty stores. Next time I do, I'll try this cake -- it looks delicious.

Callipygia said...

Hey welcome back. The dates look so delicious and jumbo sized! Perfect-

Anh said...

Welcome back my friend!!!

The cake looks absolutely delicious. Girl, you keep me thinking about dates now. I think I might have to do something to satisfy my craving.

FH said...

YUM!! I want to try these if I can manage to find dates in my over loaded freezer!Good one Gattina, Yam sounds great too!

Anonymous said...

What a gorgeous dessert! And I've never seen a fresh date before, so it's quite a shock to see that picture - they look like plump black jewels! So beautiful!

Patricia Scarpin said...

I have never tried anything like this, Gattina - YUM!

Susan from Food Blogga said...

Welcome back, Gattina! :) This is one fabulous cake. Where are you still finding dates that fresh in May? I'll have to wait until the fall to try this, but it looks like it's worth the wait.

ChichaJo said...

Lovely combination...i love sweet potatoes :) Wish I could find fresh dates here!

Tarah at Genesis of a Cook said...

I like the combination. Looks delicious!

Anonymous said...

That does look good. We get the black ones where I am and a few varieties of golden and they are all meltingly delicious. I usually just eat them plain out of the carton, or dipped into almond butter!

Mansi said...

This looks simply delicious Gattina!:)

Renee said...

Really lovely little cakes, I bet the yam /was/ good in there. Also, I've never seen a fresh date before...I thought they were eggplants!

MyKitchenInHalfCups said...

That sounds like a grand combo and sure looks beautifully moist! Like the lighter note you speak of here and the walnut! And I like it doesn't make so much you need an army to eat it all. Excellent Gattina.

Gattina Cheung said...

Rosa, thanks sweetie! xoxo

Lydia, your country really is a great place for food! I hadn't ever seen the fresh until I moved to here :)

Calli, now you remind me, the package did says "jumbo" for their varity :D

Anh, as you know we oriental have quite a few varieties, my most favorite is "honey date" (back translation of Cantonese), but this one definitely makes it an enemy :D

Asha, I wouldn't be suprised if you tell me you have more than one freeze :) :)... and of course, they all overload :D

Ellie, oh you so sweet *smooch* They look almost the same as the dries, I almost missed them when I passed the fridge at store.

Pat, you are welcome darling!

Susan, their season doesn't come that late in here though. But darling, your California (hehee) already has everything the best!

Jo, any plump dried dates will be same good, they even sweeter :D Thanks for your sweet words as well.

Tarah, thank you so much for the compliment :D

Elarael, dipping in almond butter!!! Divine!!!

Mansi, thank you so much for the compliment :D

Tanna, same here... I stop to baking a huge cake. L'l bites always taste the best for me :D And thank you so much for the encouragement, it makes my day!!! :D

Gattina Cheung said...

nan, I giggled when I saw eggplant :D Yes, isn't it (esp the color) similar?! Thank you!

Lore said...

Walnuts are my favourite nuts so your recipe is a keeper ;)

sher said...

Sigh. I love dates--and you included yams and walnuts too. We've missed you--and you're back with two fabulous posts!!