Friday, March 13, 2009

White Fish filled Roasted Red Pepper

We make sure that we have something to eat before we go to pub in Barcelona.

Some pubs may have fries and cheese sandwich, but that's about it. Forget that buffalo wings, burgers, onion rings ...

There is one pub close to our house, and the owner makes his own beer. Very unusual, he also creates a few exquisite snacks, this pepper & fish is one of them.

The whole texture is so soft and creamy that reminds me of cloud, pillowing my tastebuds and delighting my soul.

Due to the very soft filling, the original pepper rolls look very sagging, taste-wise is superb though. When I re-created the dish, I attempted a better shape, so I formed a cone with a very thin slice of pineapple and inserted to the pepper. Although the authentic texture is changed, the pineapple does give the rolls a more interesting flavor.

Recipe of White Fish filled Roasted Red Pepper

yield: 3 rolls

  • 100 g white ocean fish, preferably with soft texture, cubed
  • 3 roasted red peppers in oil, store-bought
  • a small clove of garlic
  • 1 - 2 Tbp(2) flour
  • 1 Tbp butter
  • some milk
  • salt and pepper to taste
  • veg oil
  • very thin slices of pineapple (optional)

How-to

  • Pre-heat a skillet, drizzle veg oil, saute the garlic and fish until they are almost done, salt and pepper to taste. Puree.
  • Use the same skillet, add butter and flour, fry and keep stirring them over a very low heat for a minute or 2, gradually add milk and continue to stir very well until you get a thick sauce, simmer for 2 minutes more, salt and pepper to taste.
  • Combine the fish puree and the thick cream.
  • Pre-heat the oven to medium. Line a baking pan with foil.
  • Fill the peppers with the fish filling and pineapple (if use). Arrange the rolls on the pan, brush veg oil on top.
  • Place the pan on a higher shelf of the oven, bake until the rolls heat through, about 15 minutes. Serve hot.
  • The filling can also prepared a day ahead, then do the stuffing and baking on the next day.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

18 comments:

Anonymous said...

I make something similar with tuna instead of white fish, rolling it up in the roasted pepper and tied with a scallion. I thought they look adorable, but your are fantastic. Your eye for photography is admirable.

pigpigscorner said...

They look so pretty! The pictures are gorgeous.

indosungod said...

Looks fantastic Gattina. Oh the peppers and pineapple and the fish, I feel happy just imagining the taste.

Rosa's Yummy Yums said...

Interesting! These filled peppers look really good and very pretty! Great pics!

Cheers,

Rosa

Anonymous said...

I can imagine is that this tastes wonderful!

Paz

Callipygia said...

oh, I stare so longingly at those peppers, even with their pineapple girdles. They've got great shape and look delicious.

Anonymous said...

sounds delish!

Katie Zeller said...

When I lived in Andorra and could get pimientos, I stuffed them lots - my favorite was with goat cheese, olives and ham...

Anonymous said...

I've never heard of fish filled peppers, but boy they look good. I usually have them filled with rice or goat cheese. Yummy!

Anonymous said...

wow! these photos are absolutely spectacular! Outstanding! thanks for sharing :)

Gattina Cheung said...

Pia, tied with a scallion... you are genius!

pigpigscorner, thank you for the compliment :)

indosungod, thanks millions. I adore the taste from this combination as well :)

Rosa,thanks for the sweet words.

Paz, my pal, thank you!

Calli, (girdles!) I can't stop chuckling... you have a great humor!

Dana, thanks for the compliment :)

Sophie, thank you so much!

Katie... !cuento tiempo! ?que tal? :) :)

Chuck, I love your combo too! This store-bought pepper (in oil) so soft in texture, personally I prefer pairing it with sth very soft as well.

dirtykitchensecret. thank you for the compliment :D

Food For Tots said...

A great invention! The stuffing looks and sounds marvellous!

Anonymous said...

Are these the wonderful piquillo peppers? I can get them in cans here, but they are so expensive. I love to stuff them with a goat cheese and olive mixture.

redmenace said...

What a brilliant idea. Thank you! I may stuff some peppers this week!

Cynthia said...

All I can do is gawk and smile.

Miette said...

Very very nice ! The pictures are beautiful and they sound scrumptious !

Cheers,

Miette

MyKitchenInHalfCups said...

Gattina I very much like the simplicity of this dish! The color is beautiful.

Shopaholic said...

Wow, these peppers are so pretty!