Friday, April 16, 2010

Golden Plum Chocolate Tartlet

Photobucket

I bought some golden plums at a neighborhood fruit store. When I checked out, the store lady asked me to take some strawberries... free.

Some fruit or vegetable isn't really turning bad but may have bruise or has been sitting for too long. Instead of throwing away the store people just give it away. Many time I have received artichoke, bell pepper or celery...

A recent news about a US strawberry farmer destroying his crops (selling price too low the cost couldn't cover...) is still echoing in my head.

Anyway go back to this tartlet... the crust is crunchy, not too sweet but very cocoa-y. It pairs particularly well with citrus fruit, mimicking the sentiment of dark-chocolate covered orange peel. I did two versions for the plums - slices and cubes - for the tartlets. The flesh turns soft after baking, so if you prefer some bite I suggest you going for the cubes.

Photobucket

Recipe for the chocolate tart crust:

please based on this recipe, replace the semolina flour with regular flour, add 1/8 cup cocoa powder, increase the butter (superb flavor is a must) to 70 g.

Once you form and roll out the dough, divide it to 5 circles. Spead some mermalade (I used plum's) in the center, arrange the cut plum on top, sprinkle sugar and dot with butter, wrap the edge up. Bake the tartlets in a (pre-heat) medium-hot oven for about 30 minutes.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

8 comments:

Anh said...

So lovely, Ganitta! I have been thinking of something chocolate-'y', but not chocolate cake. make sense? :D This sounds lovely. I may pair it with a tart jam to see how it goes...

Rosa's Yummy Yums said...

Those are fabulous little tartlets! I like that combination. Plums go perfectly well with chocolate.

Cheers,

Rosa

Deeba PAB said...

Fruits in baking and in desserts are always charming... these tarts are even more! Beautiful!!

Homemade Heaven said...

I love the rustic look of the crust. Our fruit season is ending now - winter is here. Going to try this tart before it's too late.

Tebonin said...

Amazing amazing..
chocolate with fruit best of my love.

Brett Sutcliffe said...

Such a lovely dessert. Really fresh looking perfect recipe.

Jenny said...

A very nice post!

I want to try the Vietnam vegetable roll, thanks for the recipe, I'm going to cook tomorrow. =)

Paula said...

Those look soo good, I will have to try them soon.. Thanks for the post !