Friday, November 03, 2006

Rosemary sandwich crackers with bacon cheese

These crackers are extremely flaky, the key to succeed pretty much depends on your skill. But please don't let it put you off as their flavor is really fantastic.

Recipe for rosemary sandwich crackers with bacon cheese (yield 1 dozen sandwiches)

For the crackers (about 24 pieces):

2 Tbps ground almond, 2 Tbps ground cashew, 2/3 cup plain flour, 1/3 cup semolina flour, 6 Tbps very cold butter cubed, some finely diced rosemary leaves, a pinch of salt, chilled white wine + ice water (ratio 1:1), 1 yolk (no white!) for egg wash, some almond or cashew (halved) for decoration

For the filling:
  • A few spoonfuls of cream cheese
  • 1 bacon
  • Toast the bacon to very dry and crispy, finely diced. Combine it with cream cheese. If too hard to stirr means your cheese too cold, microwave the cheese for a few seconds. Keep the filling in fridge until serve

    Directions:
    • In a large mxing bowl, combine the two nuts, two flours, rosemary and salt
    • Add the butter and cut them with a pastry blender to the size of small bead
    • Add the wine water, little by little, mix, until the flour mixture can just hold together, but definitely not wet. Press down the dough like a disk, wrap, rest in the fridge for at least an hour
    • Roll the dough with no more than 1/2 cm thickness. In between rolling give the dough a lot of rest and chill time. Pre-heat the oven to 350F/ 180C
    • Cut the dough with a cookie cutter (mine 4.5 cm). Lay them on a baking tray, stick nuts on half of the crackers, egg wash, bake for 15 - 20 minutes
    • Cool the crackers on rack. Spread the filling and assemble as a sandwich right before you serve.

    18 comments:

    Anonymous said...

    Very flakey looking...and bacon... you can never go wrong with bacon.

    FH said...

    That is one good looking cracker sandwich, Gattina! Great pics and bacon ! YUM!!:)

    Unknown said...

    Yum! I love rosemary, combined with flaky crackers makes it a double dose of delight! :)

    Kalyn Denny said...

    They do look fantastic, and another great rosemary recipe. (It may be the herb of the week, we'll have to see about that!)

    Anonymous said...

    So delicious!!!

    Gracio said...

    Mymy! THis looks so good!!!!!!!!!!! Giselle, u never fail to amaze me u know? *Hugz*

    Anonymous said...

    Oh.. they look fab!

    I will have to try my hand at this one.

    Anonymous said...

    Wow. u made the crackers? u are a good baker!!they look so flaky. No bacon for me, so plain cream cheese for me i guess.

    Anonymous said...

    Oh, my! These look awesome!

    Paz

    Brilynn said...

    These must have been so time consuming to make, but well worth it, I wish someone would make those for me.

    LittleHands said...

    Gattina, I'm always speechless when I see yr beautiful and unique bakes and not forgetting yr fantastic photography. *Speechless* :-))

    Callipygia said...

    OHMYGOSH...Bacon...flaky...cream cheese. Beautiful, uh wow!

    Gattina Cheung said...

    Sher, thanks! I do enjoy them a ton :D

    Peabody, you're so right!

    Asha, thank you!

    Angie, how true. As dessert, egg is the best one to go with flaky crust *wink*

    Kayln, I have the same feeling about that too, let see :)

    White poplar, thanks for your visit!

    Grace, *hug*hug*

    Coffeepot, hope you'll enjoy them as much as I do!

    Shaheen, I think some seasoning is required in the cheese then... you are master in that I know :D

    Paz, thank you! *hug*

    Brilynn, thanks! I think the total work time is less than 30 mins, but they all spread out (for chilling and resting).

    Jolene *waving hands, jumping* how are you? I'll see you around at KC!

    Callipygia, I love every ingredient you mentioned, love them love them!

    Anonymous said...

    Sounds and look absolutely divine, Gattina!

    These would go great for buffet parties. Very inspiring!

    Lis said...

    They are gorgeous and my mouth is watering just looking at the flakiness!

    How do you come up with these recipes? You never fail to amaze me, sweet girl! :D

    Lakshmi said...

    wow, so nice looking crackers.

    Anonymous said...

    These look absolutely delightful! What a wonderful snack to be able to turn out for a gathering of friends...though I think I might actually disinvite them so I could enjoy these all myself!

    Rosa's Yummy Yums said...

    That looks super delicious! And your pictures are ever so good!!!