Sunday, January 14, 2007

Hazelnut, sage & potato tartlets

Actually these tartlets were made for the Christmas, I just forgot to post them; so they look a bit festive. I'm trying to remember every ingredient, but I recommend you eyeball the amount.

Recipe (yield: 16 mini-tartlets)
  • 2 small starchy potatoes (i.e.g russet)
  • 1 Tbsp butter
  • 1 large egg
  • some heavy cream
  • a bit of blue cheese
  • 1 sage leaf, fine diced (and more whole leaves for decoration)
  • 2 - 3 Tbsp ground hazelnut
  • 16 whole hazelnuts, shelled, for decoration
  • salt and pepper to taste

Directions

  1. Cook the potatoes, peeled, mashed, add butter, little cream (depending the consistency) and a pinch of salt. Fill a piping bag with the mashed potato.
  2. Pre-heat the oven to 350F. Well grease two mini-tart trays, pipe out the "crust" with mashed potato.
  3. In a large mixing bowl, whisk egg, diced sage, ground hazelnut, cheese, cream, spoonful of mash potato (if prefer a firmer filling) salt & pepper to combine. Spoon the egg mixture into the crusts, each drop in a whole nut, bake until golden brown. Serve warm as a starter.

18 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great idea even if it's not Christmas.

Anh said...

Gattina,
Beautiful tartlets! Love to see waves of beautiful delights keep coming from your kitchen! :)

The Culinary Chase said...

Wow! These look amazing! Will have to give these a try! Cheers!

Patricia Scarpin said...

Gattina, these tartlets are absolutely beautiful!

I love, love, love potatoes and mashed potato is one of my favorite comfort foods.

You're so talented!

Unknown said...

Ooooo, I love how these looks, beautiful! What's the little red 'rubies' on top?

Brilynn said...

I love the idea of using potato rather than a tart shell, and they look very tasty!

FH said...

Gattina,this is the best looking dish ever!!SOOOOO cute.Potato and sage,YUM!!

Lis said...

Oh my lord.. those are adorable! They remind me of the other lil potato snacker you made around Christmas as well. I love the idea of using the potato as the shell. :D You amaze me with your creativeness!

xoxo

Meeta K. Wolff said...

Simply delicious looking. Sounds and looks like a dream, Gattina!

Gattina Cheung said...

Tanna, thannks! I think so too, bascially potato can go well with everything :D

Anh, really thanks for your comment :D

Culinary Chase, thanks for your visit!

Pat my dear, I see there are many food we both love!

Angie, they're dried berries. At supermarket at seasoning/condiment aisel I bought "4 seasons peppers corns" (black, white and green whole peppers, plus red berry), and I just picked out the berries to use in here.

Brilynn, thanks! Anything with egg and cheese I just can't resist!

Asha, thank you sweetie! Although I have to admit, deep-frying is the only favorite way of mine to make that sage leaves.

Lis oh yes! Unlike that one (only blind bake the shell), this one since with filling in is very easy to unmold. Thanks for your sweet comment xoxo

Sher my dear! You guys are genius in cooking potatos (plus many more other food). My husband's best buddy is also Irish Amercian, he cooks simple yet fantastic potatos, cabbage, meat... No wonder why I always love all the dishes you prepared!

Meeta, thanks for your sweet comment!

Anonymous said...

Gee ... I wish it was Christmas all over again so I could eat these!

Saffron said...

Darling, the new version of your blog is so ull of light and energy!
These tartlets are really nice. Unforunately my boyriend doesn'eat hazelnuts because of an allergy! I'll make it only or me!

Anonymous said...

Gattina - I have a plan! I will move to your neighborhood and whenever you require a taste-tester I will be able to help out :D

Anonymous said...

I adore these! Three flavors I absolutely love!

Anonymous said...

Mmmm, this looks so good, so many great flavors together.

LittleHands said...

Gattina, thks for the great idea! I just love it! :-)

Gattina Cheung said...

Ivonne, but if you let me choose comforting winter food or sizzling backyard bbq in summer, I go for the latter... sort of tired of cold days...

Saffron, then you can eat too! Baci!

Ellie, oh thanks for your compliment sweetie!

Bea, me too!

Peabody, thanks for your sweet comment :D

Hey-ah! Jolene, how are you?!

LittleHands said...

I'm fine,Gattina. Thks for yr concern. Just very busy. But no matter how busy I am, must always find time to pop in here to drool over yr bakes/food, hee :-)