Sunday, February 04, 2007

Appricot pastry

I haven't mentioned my first job after college was something related to TV commerical production. One time we did a commercial for a noodle chain stores in Hongkong. Three young babes, with their store uniform, holding a bowl of noodle danced and sang. But the director just felt something wasn't right. "Ah-hah!" exclaimed the art direction, he ran out and got back three pairs of skimpy shorts for the girls to change... YES! The noodles were instantly delicious! Have you ever watched Family Stone? I know I know, you felt asleep during the movie, but please wake yourself up while SJP's holding up her pink shoes, and one morning Dermot Mulroney came out with his black turtle-neck on, sexy! He was holding a mug of coffee, it probably had nothing inside but I still wanted to drink from his mug! Sex appeal can sometimes sell. Sunny-side-up or over-easy, both are eggs, I sure choose the first one not necessary because it tastes better... Dermot's black turtle-neck and sunny-side up, both give me an idea for this set of photos. Ingredients:
  1. Store-bought puff pastry
  2. Dried Turkish apricots, one whole per pastry. And 1/4 cup sugar.
  3. For the pastry cream - 1 cup milk, 1/4 cup sugar, a pinch of salt, 2 egg yolks, 1 3/4 tbps potato starch, a dash of vanilla extract
  4. For glazing: apricot jam. And some coarse sugar.

Directions:

  1. Thaw the puff pastry as per the package direction. Use a very sharp knife to cut your desired size/shape. Cover. Keep in fridge.
  2. In a small pot, add sugar and water which should cover the dried apricots, bring to boil, lower the heat, simmer for 6 - 1o minutes or until soft and tender. Turn off the heat. Cover and sit for an hour. Drain. Halve the apricots.
  3. Place the yolks in a bowl, set aside. In a small pot, combine the milk, sugar, salt and potato starch and bring to boil, stir constantly. Add 1/3 of hot mixture into the yolk and whisk immediately (tempering). Return the yolk mixture into the pot, stir, once simmer, turn the heat off. Add a dash of vanilla. Scrape the cream and push through into a strainer which has set over a bowl. Press a plastic wrap against the surface of the cream and let cool.
  4. Pre-heat oven 370F. Sprinkle some coarse sugar on work table, lay a piece of pastry dough over, roll slightly flatten in its middle. Sugared-side up, spoon in (just walnut-size is enough) pastry cream, place two halved apricots. Bake until they're golden brown. About 15 minutes
  5. When the pastries almost done, simmer the jam. Once the pastries come out from oven, immediately brush the jam all over.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

32 comments:

Unknown said...

Though I've never watched this movie, but the way you descibed it, it must have left a deep impression for you. I love you 'sunny-side-up' pastry, gorgeous photos, as always. *wink*

Bong Mom said...

Loved the write up, just like your pics are a visual treat and we want to grab them :)
The first pic is beautiful, loved the colors, gives a warm feeling

MyKitchenInHalfCups said...

The recipe reads like anybody could do it and your photos look like the pastry is right out of a Paris shop! Beautiful.

sra said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
sra said...

Gattina, I laughed at the way you said the noodles became instantly delicious as soon as the girls wore skimpy shorts!

Brilynn said...

They do look like eggs! Very clever!

Mishmash ! said...

The recipe fits me perfectly, easy and delicious :) Needless to say, pics are awesome :)

Shn

Anh said...

Gattina. I should never come to your blog in the morning BEFORE breakfast! It is 5:50 AM now, and I am hungry!!! Love the apricot pastry :)

fethiye said...

hi there, i was wondering how big of a puff pastry sheet do you need for the cream you have the recipe for? thanks!

FH said...

YUM!! Pastry filling sounds so good Gattina!Thanks for the recipe.
I loved the Chicken dumplings too in your last post.Photos are gorgeous!Have fun today!;D

Callipygia said...

Gattine, were you one of the "pastries" wearing the short-shorts? These pastries are very sexy...

Susan from Food Blogga said...

My husband ordered an apricot puffed pastry last weekend at a popular bakery. Let me tell you, it didn't look nearly as beautiful as yours. Honest.

Helene said...

Meant to tell you that everything on your blog looks beautiful...especially those apricot pastries!

Anonymous said...

I, for one, didn't fall asleep during that movie for the same reason you didn't. All that sex appeal.

Anonymous said...

Very sensual pic. I want to make your apricot pastry right away! ;-) I have to look up the movie you've mentioned.

Paz

Anonymous said...

Yes! Totally agree about DM in Family Stone, and hey, I liked that movie. It had it's good moments. Loved the pastry. Really beautiful. Wish I had a piece right now. I'd be a happy camper.

Anonymous said...

Amazing! And I love the fact that you used store-bought puff pastry - makes me feel better about be utterly unable to make it myself ;)

Anonymous said...

sure had me fooled...I did think they were eggs. like the story about the skimpy shorts!

Patricia Scarpin said...

Gattina! You are unbelievable! ;)

I loved your witty text and these pastries look so yummy!

My "to do" list just keeps getting bigger and bigger... ;)

Linda said...

such amazing photos AND recipes. love this blog! can't wait to go exploring!

Krithika said...

what a coincidence Gattina !! I too worked for a TV commerical production house after my colllege. pastry looks delicious. what a neat idea

Edith said...

G, you never failed to entice me with your pixs. Now so tempted to get started in my new kitchen but I have still got tons of stuff to be tucked away. *torn feelings*

Lis said...

hahaha great story behind the pastries! I have to agree with everyone else - they are just beautiful! :D

Gattina Cheung said...

Angie, the movie is so-so really, if you have too much spare time (very unlikely I know), try it :D

Sandeepa, thank you, I like the deep rich red and black too!

Tanna, I haven't been Paris... but your previous photos and post have left me a great impressions! Thanks for your compliment.

Sra, hehee... I should say, the girls are delicious too ;p

Brilynn, thanks, but they aren't my original idea, I saw them in bakeries and cookbooks.

Sher, I know it's very hard to quit coffee. I had stopped drinking coffee for 2 years. Hope your tummy stays well! Both your mom and you are excellent cook/baker!!!

Shn, thank you. Yes, it's really very easy to do.

Anh, please come come come... and bring over your delicious mini pizza this time, hehee.

Fethiye, mine is about 12 x 8 cm. Hope that helps :D

Asha, thanks so much! The relatives from my husband are always looking forward to gathering, and they must request this dumpling. It's so easy to do, can wipe it up in no time. Glad that you like them :D

Callipygia, hahahaaaaa... you really crack me up! Ok, if I could choose, I wanted to be the shorts!

Susan, oh I'm really flattered! Puff pastry isn't my top favorite even it's indeed delicious. Eating them I feel like I'm a wood chipping machine *lol*

Helene, glad you dropped by!

Kristen, too bad this movie could have been better if SJP was replaced by someone else.

Paz, how have you been... NY so cooooooold these days!

Glenna, maybe I don't care SJP too much, even in Sex and the City, I haven't ever liked her. Thanks for your sweet words :)

Ellie, I'm fine with store-bought puff pastry, they're really good stuff! I made it from scratch once or twice, but since it's not my most favorite, I don't bother :)

Veron, thank you so much for your compliment.

Patricia, I think we can compare our 'to-do-list' which is longer, ha! My lastest one from yours is carrot cake, oh no no no, ravioli now!

Linda, so happy you dropped by :D

Krithika, oh really!!!!!!! So much fun isn't it? Work hours are really toooooo long though.

Edith, please don't stress yourself! We always have time, priority first to your children and husband and yourself! *hug*

Lis, thanks sweetie! xoxo

Dr. Soumya Bhat said...

hey looks awesome.hmm wish could taste one also.Thanks for sharing

Sri said...

Gattina ,can I substitute potato starch for something else like corn starch?

Katie said...

Things that look this good aren't supposed to sound so easy to make.
Wish I could've seen the noodle ad!

J said...

Enjoyed reading your write-up. Apricot pastry is a must try for me, looks really good! I also liked the earlier chicken dumplings recipe.

J said...

Enjoyed reading your write-up. Apricot pastry is a must try for me, looks really good! I also liked the earlier chicken dumplings recipe.

Unknown said...

This looks really yummy and sounds easy to do as well. Thanks for sharing such wonderful recipes! =)

Gattina Cheung said...

Thanks for everyone compliement :D :D

Sri, try to replace with corn starch, but increase to 2 or 2 1/2 tbps.

Sri said...

Gattina i tried your apricot pastry today...love it