Wednesday, October 25, 2006

Devil's food cake with chocolate pudding filling

One of my classmates her first job after college was to create names for movies. Name is very important in affecting people perception. For naming a cake, I think devil's food cake is one of the best. This catchy name no double can easily wow everyone including those even haven't had this cake. It is a lovely cake afterall, and so easy to accomplish; I really enjoy taste one, or even better, bake one!

I had made this cake sometimes ago, only found my recipe already lost after delicious Saffron and Pepper asked for it. Luckily I saw Peabody's gorgeous Deeply Dark Devil's Food Cake; I picked up my mixing bowl and spoon right away ...

When a cake's recipe (like Peabody's) requires to add warm water in batter, you'll expect an extraordinarily tender cake... probably due to the heat breaking up the gluten (?). But if you use cake flour or farina 00 instead of plain/ all-purpose flour, I think you should avoid heating up the water, pershaps someone can verify it for me? I've made three alternations from Peabody's recipe... First I used rectangle pan instead of round; second I used Panengeli lievito pane degli angeli to replace the baking powder and baking soda, not surely if it caused the less dark color; third, the cake's layers were filled with manufacturer's chocolate pudding, just to add a variety in the texture. The top was spread with fudge chocolate frosting, decorated with chocolate "fans" made from chocolate. Last but not least, please go see how deeply dark Peabody's cake is, no matter you are devil or not still can't resist this wonderful cake!

22 comments:

Unknown said...

Gattina, another 'devilish' cake from you, sinful chocolate cake :)

Anonymous said...

Wow! and yum!

Paz

Anonymous said...

It is a sin, not to eat that cake !!! Lovely Lovely !!!

Saffron said...

Dear Gatina! what can I say? this cake is GORGEOUSSSS! Teh pictures are fantastic! Compliments and thank you for thinking of me!
Baci

Lis said...

Your devil's food cake is absolutely gorgeous and brings one of those instances where I don't feel weird licking my monitor. heee!

Anonymous said...

Wow Gattina, marvellous! Another gorgeous cake! And what a name for a cake indeed!

FH said...

Beautiful devilish cake and love chocolate fan there!

Very approciate for Halloween without the scares , with only lot of love!!

Anonymous said...

Gattina, It's Yummmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm,you always end up tempting me with your lip-smacking delicious pictures.Thanks..:)

Anonymous said...

wow, such a beautiful looking cake! yummy

Anonymous said...

what a yummilicious looking cake!!!!!!the choco fans are really beautiful.i am going to make this soon.

Anonymous said...

Looks wonderful...techincally it is Tish Boyle's cake...not mine :)

Edith said...

I am a sucker for anything chocolate and gosh! yours really tempt me.

Gracio said...

gorgeous!! :) I love anything that's chocolatey!!

Krithika said...

Wow !! Wow !!What a fantastic looking cake. Definitely going to try this.

Anonymous said...

brilliant!!

you can try umm.. angel food cake with white chocolate/ vanilla pudding (:

just a suggestion! the two can pit against each other

Brilynn said...

I love your chocolate fans!

Bong Mom said...

WOw...this cake is simply Wowwwww. How do you make the chocolate fans ?

Meena Kandlakuti said...

nice cake recipe...i think children will love this yumy dish...thanks for sharing

Alpineberry Mary said...

I totally agree about how a name can affect one's perception (from movies to cakes). And deeply dark devil's food cake is a great name for a great cake. Nice job!

Anonymous said...

Gattina, this cake looks lovely!

Beautiful presentations for such a delicious recipe!

Anonymous said...

A rich beautiful cake, Gattina.
I love how you decorate it with chocolate fans. Did you made them yourself? If so, how do you made them?

Gattina Cheung said...

Hi everyone, I sincerely thank you all for your encouragements, they mean a lot to me :D :D :D

Sandeepa and Jacelyn, thanks for your visit! Please see if you can get a book called Cocolat by Alice Medrich from which I learnt making the fans :)