Friday, March 11, 2011

Basic Orange Sponge Cake

Photobucket

Before I start, please note that I haven't made the cake perfect. I've missed out a step that caused lumps in my cake. However, the recipe is definitely a keeper as it's DELICIOUS.

I always like to observe what little kids like to eat. Their palates haven't spoiled yet. For cupcake, they actually scape out all gooey sugary frosty and only go for the cake. By the way, their little tongue can also detect if the eggs you used are fresh enough.

With this picture in my mind, I began to search for a recipe of an oldie-but-goodie Hongkong cake, it's called paper-cup (shape) sponge cake. All kids love it. Due to our eating culture, this sponge cake is more rich than that of European style. I'd say, ours is fairy similar to chiffon cake. For sure, it tastes beautifully and good enough to be a star of its own.

Last but not the least, only use super-fresh eggs for this recipe... your kids can tell :):)

Photobucket

Recipe of Basic Orange Sponge Cake

(yield 6 - 9 small cakes depending the size of your coffee/tea cup)

The originial recipe is called Hongkong Cupcake, written by Christine

  • 5 super-fresh eggs, medium-sized
  • 50 g butter, of premium quality
  • 70 g sugar
  • 130 ml fresh orange juice
  • optional: a tiny spoonful of (organic) orange zest
  • 100 g cake flour
  • a pinch of salt
  • 1/4 tsp cream of tartar

Steps:

  1. Boil the orange juice in a small pot, then simmer it for about 30 minutes until it comes down to 60 ml. Set aside.
  2. Sift the flour twice (it is very important but I forgot to do it, my batter ended up with some lumps)
  3. Melt the butter, set side.
  4. Separate the egg whites from the yolks placing them into two different large bowls
  5. Beat the egg yolks until it looks pale.
  6. Well-combine the flour with orange juice, orange zest, melted butter and the yolks, set aside, and so let the flour have time to absorb the liquid. (my mistake, I did this step at the last minutes)
  7. Line your coffee cup/ tea cup with baking paper. Pre-heat oven to 180 C
  8. Beat the egg white with a pinch of salt and cream of tartar until it reachs soft-peak, gradually add sugar and continue to beat until it just before reaches stiff form.
  9. Gently fold in the egg white into the flour mixture. Spoon the batter into the lined cups.
  10. Bake cakes, depending their size, 20 - 25 minutes, or test with a toothpick, if it comes out clean the cakes are done then.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

10 comments:

Rosa's Yummy Yums said...

Delightfully orangy! Those mini sponge cakes must taste great.

Cheers,

Rosa

Karen said...

I lived in Hong Kong for a number of years and I really loved the bakeries and the local specialties like the sponge cakes and egg tarts. Actually, I miss so many things about that wonderful city. I will definitely try your recipe. Thanks for posting it.

Trzcinowisko said...

Wygląda fantastycznie!!!:)
Look great:)

lena said...

these look like our little egg sponge cakes over here but they are not wrapped in papers, your cakes look pretty good! have a nice day!!

Gattina Cheung said...

Rosa and Kaja, thanks for your lovely comments :)

Karen, do you go back to Hk for visit from time to time? Sadly, it's never been the same...

lena, your country has countless wonderful cakes (I haven't been there, but my friend from Malaysia sent me some cakes to my SG home). One of the characteristics of this cake is having a great egg flavor; then another is always wrapped in paper :)

Anh said...

i remember seeing this sponge cake!! Will have to try it now since you have said that it's delicious xoxo

pigpigscorner said...

I tend to go for the cake too rather than the frosting. But for fresh eggs, I really can't tell =P

crowleyancanto said...

Mmmmmmmm...everything looks just exquisite and the photography is gorgeous!

ChichaJo said...

This does sounds delicious...I have always been a fan of plain sponge cakes, provided that they are well made as yours is here! There is something so pure and sunny, and just *good*, about them :)

Christine Ho said...

Hi Gattina,
So glad that you tried my recipe and loved it. This HK cupcake is a blast around my friends.
Thank you for the shout out!