Sunday, January 23, 2011

3-Cheese crackers

Photobucket

Regular chedder, extra-sharp chedder and parmesan cheese.

Some kids from America told me that they miss Goldfish cheese crackers a lot. American or not, kids or not, who don't like cheese crackers?

I can't reproduce the commercial crackers as they have some artifical flavorings and/or colors which I am unable to get, and I won't use anyway, but I can make these still-delicious and chemical-free crackers, with not only one, but three cheeses. You can use other types of cheese, but avoid the soft and creamy type, semi-aged or aged cheese is ideal for making these crackers.

Photobucket

Recipe of 3-Cheese Crackers

(yield single layer of crackers for 2 baking trays)

  • 200 g plain flour
  • 5 g fresh yeast
  • 1/2 tsp salt
  • 1/2 tsp herb salt (mine with dried garlic, parsley and basil)
  • 1 small egg
  • 1 Tbp cold butter
  • 3 tsps veg oil
  • 4 (but not more) tsps water
  • 60 g grate cheese (mine are 15 g chedder, 20 g extra sharp chedder and 25 g parmesan)

Directions:

  1. Put the flour, the fresh yeast and the cold butter in a large bowl. Use finger tips to break up the butter and yeast and mix with the flour. Then stir in the salt, the herb salt, egg, veg oil and the cheese. Little by little, add the water and knead the dough. The dough should not be too moist, but you can add some oil if it is too dry to form a dough. Wrap the dough and let it rest in fridge for at least an hour.
  2. Line a baking paper on a large baking tray (you will need 2 trays). Sprinkle some salt on on the paper (the salt adheres to the dough better in this way).
  3. Divide the dough into 2 equal portions. Lightly brush oil on the work table. Roll the dough to very thin (remember let it rest 2 or 3 times in between rollings so that the gluten can relax and the dough can be rolled to extend easily). Cut the dough with a knife or a small cookie cutter, and use a toothpick to prick some holes on each piece of small dough. Place them on the tray. Repeat the work to the second dough.
  4. Pre-heat the oven to 170C, one tray at a time, bake the crackers 6 - 8 minutes.
  5. After completely cool off, put the crackers in a air-tight container, which store well for one week.

5 comments:

Rosa's Yummy Yums said...

I bet they are extremely scrummy! Cheese crackers are the best and I love cheddar as well as parmesan.

Cheers,

Rosa

Anh said...

I am one of those who doesn't like crackers much. But I adore the styling in the first photo. So whimsical!

Kiki said...

I love cheese crackers.. the only drawback the crackers have is that I can't stop eating them! And I love eating crackers 'cause of the delicious noises they make inside my mouth ::^_^:: I'll be back for the recipe! ciao!

KimChicSisters said...

I love cheese crackers!

http://kimchicsisters.blogspot.com/2011/01/downtown-aruba.html

pigpigscorner said...

Beautiful! My favourite childhood snack!