Monday, November 17, 2008

Poppy seeds yogurt mini cakes garnish with parsimmon

garnish with cream cheese frosting, parsimmon cut-out, pomegrante arils and flower

Come to the tall layered-cakes and cupcakes, I really think that those I had in America have the most variety and the best texture. They are spongy and light in taste (but it would be a different story after a heap of buttercream slapping on the top..). Not saying that the barkeries in Barcelona don't have the know-how to create such cakes, of course they do. I think, because their have different taste, they expect something different.
Cakes in here in general are much shorter/smaller, but substantial. For cupcakes, usually enriched by milk or yogurt, their size is not much bigger than a ping-pong ball. This makes a perfect sense, when food is richer, the portion we take should be smaller, our eating habit is healthier then.
These poppy seeds cakes are incredibly moist and flavorful. And since they are fairy rich, so I limit them to a bite-size. The recipe is originally written by Patricia at Technicolor Kitchen (taken a reference from a cookbook). Pat is an amasing and skillful baker. Her recipes never fail to impress me, so as this one.

I adjust Pat's recipe slightly according to my own taste. Instead of separating the nuts, I mix them into the batter so that the crumb is more flavorful, and so denser. I believe her recipe is absolutely beautiful as it-is, please click here for the original recipe.

Poppy seed yogurt mini cakes

yield: 20 x 2"/ 5cm wide tiny cakes

  • 1 egg yolk
  • 45g butter, room temperature
  • 1/8 cup pine nuts, ground
  • 90g sugar
  • 90g plain flour
  • 3 tbps poppy seeds
  • zest from 1/2 small mandarine orange
  • 1/2 tsp baking powder
  • 1/4 tsp baking soda
  • a pinch of salt
  • 100g plain yogurt, unsweeten

  1. Pre-heat oven to 375F/200C
  2. Beat the butter and sugar until they are white and fluffy. And add the yolk and beat for a little while. Then combine with yogurt.
  3. In another mixing bowl, combine the nut, poppy seeds, zest of mandarine orange, flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt.
  4. Corporate the flour mixture with the butter mixture. The batter looks slightly thick.
  5. Spoon the batter into paper cups. Baked the cakes at 375F/200C for the first 5 minutes, then lower to 350F/180C and bake until they are slightly golden brown, my oven took me for another 10 minutes.
  6. Cool off on the rack before garnish with cream cheese frosting and seasonaly fruit.
  7. The cakes keep well for 2 - 3 days.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

35 comments:

Rosa's Yummy Yums said...

So delicately decorated! I love those marple leaves... Delicious too!

Cheers,

Rosa

Orchidea said...

They are so cute and I am sure really good. I like that you always decorate with flowers... where do you find all the flowers that you use?
Ciao.

sunita said...

Those are the cutest cupcakes ever :-)

Anonymous said...

Whenever I think of poppy seeds, I think of lemon. Could you add some lemon zest to this cake?

Lore said...

I love mandarin orange, it is much more fragrant than a regular orange. The garnish is so elegant!

Patricia Scarpin said...

You are such a dear! I'm stunned by how beautiful your twist on those cakes turned out.

xx

a quiet life said...

your creativity astounds me. always perfection...

David T. Macknet said...

Truly beautiful shots, never mind how they tasted. ;) Lovely!

Anonymous said...

rich or not, the tiny size makes these extra cute :). The decorations on top are so lovely!

Lisa Turner said...

So elegant! Beautiful presentation. Of course, I must try these.

Brilynn said...

Lovely decoration on top, those cakes sound great!

Susan from Food Blogga said...

You cut those leaves out of persimmons, Gattina? Omg, where do you get these amazing ideas from? I love the recipe as well. Thanks to Patricia too. :)

Food For Tots said...

I luv using yogurt for baking. Yours look so cute and nicely decorated! Your photos are stunning!

Anonymous said...

You make the best and most enticing foods! This looks so delicious!

Paz

Cynthia said...

I'm speechless, all I can do is smile :)

Callipygia said...

Oh these are sweet and full of personality!

Anonymous said...

How sweet and lovely! These are adorable and look delicious!

Shari said...

They look so pretty!

boromello said...

I don´t know what is this! nothing interesting and atractive!!

Anonymous said...

How lovely! Great photography as well!

Anonymous said...

very dainty and cute! i'm sure i could eat more than one bite! :)

Sheetal Kiran said...

How very pretty! I love, love, love the beautiful decoration .. simply marvelous!

Cookie baker Lynn said...

Those look delicious and the garnishes are absolutely stunning!

Anonymous said...

These looks lovely ! Wish you a Merry Christmas and very Happy Holidays :)

Srikitchen said...

looks delicious!
first time to ur blog and it is too good!
do visit my blog when u find time and join in the savory event going in my blog!
Wish u a very happy new year!

Anonymous said...

Let me say "Wow" ! Not only are your recipes innovative but your pictures are stunning. Wow...

I'd like to invite you to recipe-blogs.com

We're building a community of quality recipe bloggers and provide a directory which lists blogs according to how much visitors think recipes are praiseworthy. It works both for visitors of the site and the blogs and it doesn't require visitors to register (although their are advantages to !).
It's a great way to promote a blog and share your recipes with more and more people.

Best of all, it's free. Hope to see you add your blog there :

http://www.recipe-blogs.com/add_your_recipe_blog

Phil

Bits said...

This is so beautiful and looks so tempting... nice recipes and pics.

Anonymous said...

It is so cute! and it looks yummy too! you have an artistic hand, how I wish that I can do the same..

restaurant grill

Navita (Gupta) Hakim said...

http://cooking-up-a-storm-zaayeka.blogspot.com/2009/01/simple-cheese-bruschetta.html

Plz accept my appreciation :)

pigpigscorner said...

They look so lovely! Love the pictures in your blog!

aminah said...

since returning from France I have been careful with what I have been eating...so to cheer myself up i am perusing the gorgeous yummy pictures of good food made by a real talented cook...yes you!!!
Thank you for cheering me up and making me feel very hungry!!! haha

Anonymous said...

These look amazing! ...and love the decoration.

Anonymous said...

The decoration on these little beauties is simply fantastic.

Anonymous said...

Sooo cute!! I loved it!

Miette said...

They are so lovely decorated! Truly beautiful! And they look delicious too!

Cheers,

Miette