Thursday, May 03, 2007

PLT puff pastry - pesto, leek & tomato

PLT - pesto, leek & tomato - should it be a classic in pastry's category, just like BLT (bacon, lettucs & tomato) in sandwich's? After the first bite, I found an elegant herbal sweetness with a a bit of zing kicking in. Sorry I can't be modest, everyone should start calling PLT!

To include pistachio nuts in the beginning was purely due to its aesthetic appearance, but it actually also added a nutty sweetness to the tomatoes; the whole combination is really wonderful. I used grape tomato, you may like to use cherry tomato, but as I recall after baking, the latter didn't hold its shape as good as grape tomato. But I haven't tried enough to confirm about it, kindly let me know if you have another idea :D

Recipe: (yield 6 pcs of 3"x4" rectangle or 9 pcs x 3.5" round mini pastries)
  • 1 sheet store-bought puff pastry
  • 2 leeks, use the white and pale green parts, 1/4"-thick slice
  • 12 oz grape tomatoes, halved or whole depending their size
  • a few spoonfuls of pesto (I used home-made)
  • a handful of unsalted pistachio, roughly chopped
  • sea salt
  • a bit melted butter
Direction:
  • Pre-heat oven to 400F
  • Use very very sharp knife (or steel cookie cutter if you make round pastry) to cut the puff pastry dough. Cover and send it back to fridge while you washing and preparing the veg.
  • Take out one piece of dough and lay on a baking sheet, spread a very thin layer of pesto, arrange the leek slices, spread more pesto on too, arrange the tomatoes, brush some butter, sprinkle a bit sea salt and pistachio. Repeat the rest of the dough.
  • Bake for 15 minutes over 400F, lower to 375F for another 5 minutes (or depending your dough size) or until slightly golden brown. Serve warm.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

33 comments:

Meeta K. Wolff said...

Oh my! This is a dream. Gattina, what a fantastic creation. Leek, tomatoes and pesto ummm! I also just love the set of photos. Very pristine!

Warda said...

SOOOOOOO cute! I just love this kind of recipe especially in this time of year. I have never tried pistachio in my savory tarts before but you definitely conviced me. Gorgeous pictures as always.

Lydia (The Perfect Pantry) said...

Simple and elegant! I love this recipe.

Anh said...

Wonderful dish for a busy day! I will test it with cherry tomatoes and let you know! :P

Rachel said...

So pretty and clever!

FH said...

Very pretty and a beautiful combination of leek ,Pesto and Tomato Gattina:))

Have a great weekend.

Mishmash ! said...

Hey, this time comments is from mu hubby; looking at the pic, he said, "What a design and styling!!! " Thought I will bring some smiles on your face sharing this one :)

Shn

Lis said...

What a fabulous combination, Gattina! You are a genius! I can't stop saying that about you! hehe

I think they look incredibly beautiful as well.. you've amazed me AGAIN!

xoxo

Anonymous said...

A fabulous appetizer Gattina and how well the colors look in the picture.. you have a very creative cooking style and no doubt you click the best pictures

Hugs
Sushma

DEEPA said...

Excellent combho of leek and tomatoes....great pics

Suganya said...

WOW!..... so cute and YUM!..... lovely photos...

Katie said...

Some friends asked me to cook dinner for them while I'm here - this is going to be the starter!
Sounds good and looks pretty - what more good one ask for!

Maneka Nirmal said...

i fell in love with those cutie tomatos at sight.. wonderful recipe and awasome pic..good work gattina.

Kitty said...

Gattina,

I am new to your site, and wish I had found it sooner....yum! Your cooking and photography is really inspiring, and I cant wait to make this latest creation.

Anonymous said...

So beautiful and fresh, Gattina! What a tantalizing combination of flavours... fantastic!

Linda said...

three cheers for puff pastry! i've been using it like mad lately! it's the summer isn't it?

this looks perfect... similar to my recipe plan for tonight :) thanks for the extra enthusiasm for my newly found friend, the tart.

Mercedes said...

Your puff pastry puffed up so perfectly, what brand did you use?

Anonymous said...

These look like the perfect pastry packages of flavour! What beautiful presentation!

Anonymous said...

In my opinion--you can never go wrong with pistachios! They always add such a nice taste and color. (I'm kind of addicted to them!) This is a beautiful dish you prepared. :)

Anonymous said...

What a beautiful tart, it looks delicious and so cute! I love the flavor of roasted tomatoes, they're so deep and wonderful.

Anonymous said...

Gattina~ I love it!
How simple, and yet how perfect.
Great post.

MyKitchenInHalfCups said...

That is fabulous! I have a roasted tomato recipe I should try like this!
You've surely picked a perfect threesome for this!

Patricia Scarpin said...

Sweetie, you put together some great ingredients, here! A few days without coming here and look at all the delicious food you've posted.
I can't keep up with you, Gattina! :D

SteamyKitchen said...

the leeks and tomatoes are beautiful! so fresh! this dish reminds me of spring turning into summer.

Pooja said...

Simply Great Gattina! i have never seen such an amazing combo, that too with such clear pictures.
you are really very creative .
looking at pics just cant right anything .... yum yum yummmmmm.....:D

Anonymous said...

Très jolies petites tartes salées !
Soooo nice !

Callipygia said...

Your PLT is a PYT (pretty young thing)- sorry couldn'thelp it!

Chris said...

Lovely! Yet another amazing presentation...but what a great recipe for the warm weather. I thought I was full from dinner...but looking at this? I think I could go another round with these! :)

Anonymous said...

Gattina, that looks really yummy...like everything you make...

Anonymous said...

I just had pistachios with my salad tonight and was thinking that I should be using them more in cooking. I also bought a bunch of basil and am planning to make pesto. This tart looks perfect! Great combination! :)

Freya said...

You are such a genius! These look stunning, sustantial and delicious!

Karen Baking Soda said...

Such elegant presentation!

Sarah said...

wow this looks great, such a good idea. I definitely plan on making this sometime soon.
thanks!