Wednesday, August 23, 2006

Crunchy honey walnuts

These melt-in-your-mouth walnuts are coated with flaky golden caramel, used to be available in many old fashioned grocery stores in Hongkong. I have a wonderful lady, sinner whom I meet from a food forum (Kitchencapers), to let me share this easy and delicious recipe in my blog.

Always use the best quality of walnuts, and keep them in freeze when they are not to be used up in a short time. Honey walnuts are decadent snacks, a handful is already very satisfying, so you don't need to make a big batch in one go; sitting for too long they'll turn rancid anyway.

Ingredients:

  • 250g walnut halves
  • 3/4 cup honey
  • 1 tbsp lemon juice
  • 1 tsp soy sauce
  • castor sugar
  • optional: white sesame seeds

Steps

  1. Combine honey, lemon juice and soy sauce.
  2. Add walnuts. Allow to stand for 2 hours, stirring occasionally.
  3. Drain walnuts.
  4. Toss in castor sugar, coating well.
  5. Pre-heat the oil (just enough to cover walnuts), fry the nuts over medium/medium-low heat, better try out one nut first to see the result. Frying time takes about a minute or two.
  6. Remove and drain well. Sprinkle sesame seeds (if use) allover. Cool completely before eating.

13 comments:

Gracio said...

Giselle, wow! this looks good! Great job lei!! I wished u're in dubai, then i can go over to ur house everday, pinching the lovely foods u make. haha! :P

Unknown said...

Gattina, the way you wrapped these walnuts reminds me of 'kacang puteh' in Singapore. Would love to have a 'cone' of honey walnuts to munch on ;p

Anonymous said...

this looks really sweet and delicious :)

Vineela said...

Hi Gattina,
This only i can try from your blog.
Choco cups naaa
Choco eggs na na na
Choco baskets ,noooooooo

Lovely pictures
Thanks for sharing.
Vineela

Anonymous said...

I love the idea of the soy and the honey. I so want to try these.

Gattina Cheung said...

Grace, I'd love to visit Dubai somedays! You told me the naans are great right?!

Sher, I agree with you! I tried another recipe without soy sauce, the flavor wasn't as good as this one.

Angie, would like to know more about "Kacang Puteh" thiny! I remember in your country, some malls always had a pushcart (usually owned by Indian) selling all sorts of delicious nuts, the guys put them in newspaper cone. Is it the same thing?

Evan, the nuts are not too sweet, but truely delicious!

Vineela, hahaahaaa! You're so cute!

peabody, do try it, it's a very good recipe. I can't taste the soy sauce in nuts, believe it just helps to give the richness and sweetness a good kick.

Unknown said...

Yes, Gattina, you got it spot on. That's 'kacang puteh'. Now they don't put in newspapers anymore, and getting pretty expensive too. as they usually have the carts outside the cineplexes...

Anonymous said...

good good! MMMM ;-P

Lis said...

Since finding out I've got the dratted annoyance of diverticulitis it hasn't bothered me too much that I can't have nuts anymore. I mean, I like most nuts but hey, I could live without them, yanno?

But nooooooo you go a post these and the combination of the soy and the honey is going to stay with me and poke at my brain until I get to have some!! I just have to figure out what I can coat with this recipe that isn't a nut? Holy comoly do they look wonderful! :D

Alpineberry Mary said...

They look so yummy and easy to make too. Thanks for sharing!

Anonymous said...

Oh, how SO much I am going to make this. I love these and never had a recipe! Thank you!

indianadoc said...

sounds quite easy...and looks great!

Anonymous said...

Your recipes are fantastic. I lived in Hong Kong from 1999 - 2004 and I miss the city. Your recipes bring back wonderful memories.