Sunday, October 14, 2007

Grilled shrimps with rosemary on tomato sorbet

food styling's idea from Descobrir Cuina numero 73

This tomato sorbet is actually frozen gazpacho. At party my guests seem like to hang out forever and still wouldn't get to the table, so might as well freeze the soup. So by the time they finish their catch-up, they will get chilled soup, a perfect treat for the summer!

To make tomato sorbet:
  • For 2 servings, you will need: 2 Tbps of oil, some sea salt, 16oz very ripped tomato, 1 onion, 1 small clove of garlic, and some water and vinegar.
  • Before make to the soup, I firstly roasted the tomatoes, onion, garlic, oil and salt over low heat in 200F oven for 6 hours so as to give some roast-y flavor for the soup. The idea is inspired by this post written by Amy at Nook & Pantry.
  • After roasting, I discarded the onion and garlic as I aimed for very red color of soup. Process the tomatoes with some water. Season with vinegar to taste.
  • Chill before serve. Or, my photo suggests - freeze the soup. I used silicon ice-cube tray as I could unmold easily.

To make grilled shrimps with rosemary:

  • Put a satay stick or rosemary swig through the shrimps, brush with olive oil, sprinkle some finely diced garlic and sea salt, grill to your desirable done-ness.
  • Place the grilled shrimp on frozen tomato sorbet, garnished with fresh rosemary and red peppercorns.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

27 comments:

Kalyn Denny said...

I love the idea of frozen gazpacho as tomato sorbet! It sounds just wonderful. Your photos are always so fantastic too. Very interesting hearing how the tomatoes are classified in Spain. There are so many varieties of tomato just in the U.S. that I can't even begin to imagine how many there must be worldwide. Glad to hear you have become at least a partial tomato convert! Thanks so much for helping celebrate the two year anniversary.

Blue Zebra said...

More beautiful styling and fun ideas! Love it Gattina. You are a rockstar, girl!!!

Loved learning about Spanish tomatoes too.

BZ

Katie Zeller said...

What a great idea! Frozen gazpacho, yummm - next summer!
Don't forget the small tomatoes that they use for the pa amb tomate (Catalan - I think - for tomato bread)

Anonymous said...

Shall I eat this as dessert or appetizer ? You're a genius!

Anh said...

Gattina, this would start any party in high mood! beautiful food styling, too!

MyKitchenInHalfCups said...

Stunning Gattina! Your styling is always so beautiful.

Mishmash ! said...

Gattina, most of your dishes are new to me , especially the combos....and its ofcourse a learning but each time I come here, I get carried away by the effort you put into each dish in styling them and presenting it to us. Absolutely gorgeous and the shrimp is quite photogenic in ur pics. Its coincidence that my post for the week is also a prawn dish from my place, yet to publish though :)

Shn

Chris said...

Wow! Wow! Wow! I love this! What a wonderful dish to serve.

Lydia (The Perfect Pantry) said...

Beautiful! And what a great idea to freeze the gazpacho. I am absolutely going to copy that next summer when I start making large batches of that wonderful soup again.

Helene said...

I hope you don´t mind me copying this right away!! I have a mostly new ice machine...
I love tomatoes!!
And I agree with all others your food styling is superbe!!

FH said...

Doubly delicious!!:))

Rosa's Yummy Yums said...

Really original and gorgeous looking! You are an artist!

Cheers,

Rosa

Anonymous said...

Amazing food styling. Almost too gorgeous to eat!

Patricia Scarpin said...

These are beautiful, Gattina!

Good to see you are blogging again, I missed your posts a lot!

Kelly-Jane said...

That is so pretty. I love how you use shapes and colours to give pizazz!

Anonymous said...

On another site you commented that you liked to drink coconut milk from cold coconuts...what you drank was coconut WATER...coconut MILK is made from grated coconut which is pressed to extract the, "milk".

Anonymous said...

Please disregard the previous post...it was for the poster of the previous comment on that site..regrets

Nabeela said...

What an innovative idea!! I've never tried gazpeho, I'm ashamed to say. But your post is willing me to give it a try soon!

Anonymous said...

What a clever idea about freezing the soup! I must remember that when I'm serving gazpacho! Beautiful pictures, as always Gattina.

And I wish I had some of those frnch fries there in Spain. :)

Kajal@aapplemint said...

ne hao gattina ... this is some really fancy schmancy looking stuff. Absolutely fantastic presentation. Gr8 looking spoons and lovely pictures. I'm frm Hong Kong too ...:)

Anonymous said...

Tha is so ingenius! Love the idea of a frozen gazpacho with the shrimps...fabulous! :)

Susan from Food Blogga said...

Gattina, why am I not surprised to see such an elegant and unique recipe on your site? You are really on a roll lately. :)

Amy said...

Oh I can't take the credit! It was all Alanna and Kalyn who converted me to roasting tomatoes! This combination sounds fantastic!

Cynthia said...

I don't know about you, at party my guests seem like to hang out forever and still wouldn't get to the table, so might as well freeze the soup, by the time they finish their catch-up, they will get chilled soup, and the still-fresh shrimps. - Genius!

Love the food styling.

Anonymous said...

Wow- that looks so elegant! Beautiful pictures.

Edith said...

I always wanted to try to make ravoli but yet to put a pasta making machine. LOLz. Yours looks totally blown away. yum yum.

Anonymous said...

This is my first visit... I am captivated by your beautiful photography! And, very creative recipes. Thanks for sharing!