Thursday, September 27, 2007

Quail egg medallion with fried vermicelli

I decided on this hors d' oeuvre/ tapas/ brunch so that I could use up the odds and bits in my fridge before our short trip to Brussels tomorrow. My husband works really very hard and is dying to have a little vacation. Before he'd considered Munich for their beer festival, but some of his co-workers didn't have good comment (crowded, stinky...) on that place, but some said they loved it! Anyway, we couldn't get a good hotel that's within our budget during the festival. And I love seafood, particulary shellfish, I think I'll like Brussels.

Oh yes, quail eggs! It is so easy to get them in here (so as in my home country). But since this post will enter Presto Pasta Night (found by Ruth at Once Upon A Feast), right now I merely focus on rice vermicelli. Hongkong people usually fry up this noodle and use it as garnish or add into (beef) meat balls (a Cantonese cuisine). Fried rice vermicelli is extremely crispy and light, sort of like biting a meringue. Just remember, don't fry a whole cake of rice vermicelli (as too pack-up), break it up first or just use the loose ones. When the oil is hot, keep the heat around medium or medium-high, frying time only takes a few seconds (!), the original thin noodles will puff up in no time!

The medallion composes of egg and cheese, you know this combo can actually go with anything! With my mushroom (taste similar to Enoki's), rice vermicelli and cebollino (think of green/spring onion...), I'm anchored with an oriental accent. Of course you can go for Italian by switching to tomato and porcini. The variety is unlimited but our imagination. Enjoy!

Recipe of quail egg medallion (yield 8 pieces)

*the idea is from Italian magazine "A TAVOLA" 2005*

  • 8 quail eggs
  • some mild-flavored, semi-soft cheese (mine is "President snacking cheese" which is in tube shape, so I just sliced it and got 8 flat round pieces)
  • a small handful dry rice vermicelli (mine imported from China)
  • 1/2 cup fresh mushroom (I didn't know the kind of mine, but flavor is very mild, sort of like Enoki's)
  • a few dashes of rice wine
  • cooking oil
  • salt and (white) ground pepper
  • dried red chili, crushed
  • cebollino/ chives, finely chopped

How-to:

  • (fried vermicelli and mushroom can be prepared an hour ahead, but cheese and eggs should be served right after they're done)
  • To fry the vermicelli - pre-heat 2" deep oil, fry the noodles over medium to medium-high heat, take only a few seconds. Drained. Set aside.
  • To sautee the mushroom - Heat a bit oil in a small skillet, saute the mushroom over medium heat, add a few dashes of rice wine, until the mushroom softens, salt and (white) pepper to taste. Set aside.
  • To prepare the cheese - Brush very little oil on a (non-stick) skillet and heat it up, brown the cheese slices.
  • To cook the quail eggs - Brush very little oil on a (non-stick) skillet, poke a big hole (by using the tip of scissor) on the bottom of the egg shell, let the egg liquid pour out and drop onto the skillet (as the quail egg's shell is not so easy to crack open as chicken egg's). Cook the egg to your desirable doneness. Salt and (white) pepper to taste.
  • To assemble - Place a slice of cheese on the bottom, top with quail egg, place mushroom on the side, garnish with rice vermicelli, crushed red chili pepper and cebollino

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

25 comments:

Anh said...

A lovely creation Gattina... The mushrooms do resemble chestnut mushrooms. Is the stalk a bit crunchier than usual?

Have a great trip! I am dying to have a holiday now, but gotta wait!

Edith said...

This looks like a piece of art. Beautiful.

FH said...

I LOVE that plate, work of art Miss!:))

Warda said...

I agree with Asha. Definetly a work of art with all the layers and the beautiful plate.

Bong Mom said...

Hey Gattina, didn't realize you are back in full form. Lovely creation.
In your last post, the pic of the apartment building reminded so much of my city in India. You know NJ has hardly any apartments and I hardly see buildings like that.

Mishmash ! said...

This is the kind of spark and creativity I like about your blog, such a simple yet filling one is presented as a gourmet dish!!! Loved it :)

Shn

Nabeela said...

Love the tray you served it in....you always have such beautiful presentation gattina :)

Anonymous said...

So pretty! I would just stare and not notice other foodies fighting over this dish with me :p

Lydia (The Perfect Pantry) said...

This is just a lovely dish! We find quail eggs in our local Asian grocery stores.

Gattina Cheung said...

Anh, the texture more like "grass mushroom" (back translation from Chinese though... :P) But thanks for the info, let me look up about chestnut and get back to you.
Oh I hope you can find time later, to relax or do anything you want!

Edith, I'm flattered... to do it really a piece of cake :P

Asha, thank you sweetheart!

Rose, oh thanks for the sweet words. The noodle has natural beauty itself, it helps!

Sandeepa, oh sorry I didn't catch up with you from your comment last time (apology!) I love living in apartment/high-rise. I have seen a bit apartment blocks in NJ but which was in Nework area. But in NJ we have pretty woods, trees and skylight, house is definitely my husband the only choice.
Back to Barcelona City, many buildings are very pretty... you know those common European fancy design-n-build thing... only my (plus my neighbor's) buildings are the only ones look so plain, ha!

Shn, *brushed* :) Your encouragement means a lot to me, my friend!

Nabeela, in here we have some cheap stores (similar to our Dollar Shops in the States except cost a bit more). I got these plates from there.

Tigerfish, you really make my day! Thank you!

Lydia, I love eating (hard-boiled) quail egg, but will look up their cholesterol level first.

Cynthia said...

Have a good time in Brussels.

Excellent tapas dish. Thanks for the tip on frying the rice noodle.

I don't have your email to send you the egg curry recipe. If you'd like to have it, just email me at: tasteslikehome@gmail.com

Katie Zeller said...

I love quail eggs, they're so cute. They are readily availabe here, as well.
As too the rice noodles....more of a challenge. Have a nice holiday!

Ruth Daniels said...

Stunning photos. They do look too good to eat, but....no! And the whimsical touch of fried vermicelli - great for Presto Pasta Nights.

Thanks for sharing and have a great trip.

Kitty said...

You are so cool, Gattina!

Anonymous said...

Saw this on Presto Pasta Night and Tastespotting. What gorgeous pictures! You're a professional.

Rasa Malaysia said...

This is soooo beautiful. Recently, I have seen a lot of quail eggs, on Iron Chef, and magazines...I think quail egg is the new egg on the block. LOL.

Georgeous pictures, love them!

lindsay said...

this looks delicious! i love the asian flair to it. and i'm going to have to try it at some point....

:D

cheers!

Callipygia said...

Gattina, the mushroom looks like a miniature spoon for a woodland elf's feast! Delicious and enjoy Brussels, eat a waffle for me.

Blue Zebra said...

Hi Gattina,

I chose you on my blog to be one of the Nice Matters Recipients. I don't know how to send you an email...so please come visit me at my blog and leave your email or alternately email me at talktoazebra@gmail.com and I will give you the Nice Matters Award jpg! Congrats girl!

Anonymous said...

Exquisite!!!! I agree with others--that's more than food. That's art!

Amy said...

Growing up in China, quail eggs were one of my favorite things. How I miss them!

Julie said...

I love you beautiful plating--I'd be happy enough just to gaze at it, I think.

Gattina Cheung said...

Cynthia, thanks for your geneorsity in sharing your recipe (crying with joy!!!) My e-mail address is up (at my profile), but I will write it again at the comment column in your blog. Thanks millions!

Katie, I used to eat a lot of quails too, but my taste has changed after grew up.

Ruth, thanks for letting me in for your wonderful PPN!

Kitty, thanks for your sweet words :)

Hillary, oh I'm so flattered. Thank you!

Rasa, really?! I hope so... but Amercians (or my family at least) sort of freak out by cholestrol thing... not sure if quail eggs able to give tv/audience's acceptance a good kick.

Lindsay, thanks for your comment :D

Calli, that spoon... oh hahaa... you crack me up!
Oh waffle... just tried once, as had to leave space for chocolate, coffee, shellfish, potato... Strange, there was no "wow" factor in their food (maybe due to the short time, or location of our staying). Italian always has though.

Blue Zebra, *big hug* big kiss* Thank you so much!!!!!! I've just changed my profile setting so you should see my e-mail address. Really thanks for the award!

Sher, I have to admit, I didn't do much about the visual, maybe that wiggling noodles do the trick :D

Amy, me too when I lived in the States. Lydia (a blogger lives in Australia) said she found them in asian stores. Do you think you may have such a luck too at yours?

Julie, oh you so sweet! And thanks for your visit!

Sia said...

......
i am falling short for words!!! its a beautiful piece of craftmanship gattina...

Anonymous said...

What a lovely creation! Simple yet delicious.