Friday, January 26, 2007

Artichokes and mushrooms preserved

I got the idea of preserving vegetable from the book In Nonna's (i.e. grandmother) Kitchen, and I like it because when vegetable in its peak season or price is low, I'd buy some extra to preserve. Later when their season is out or price goes up, I'm still able to enjoy the taste from garden without hurting my purse!

Recipe (to fit a 9 x 12 cm jar... about 20-ounce)
  • 2 medium artichokes
  • a bowl of lemon juice
  • 1 pound fresh brown mushrooms, stems removed
  • a few cups water + vinegar (1:1)
  • some sea salt
  • 2 bay leaves
  • 3 garlic cloves
  • 1 dry red chili
  • a bit dry oregano
  • extra-virgin olive oil + olive oil (1:1)

Directions

  1. To prepare the artichokes, first to have a bowl of lemon juice ready. Trim the artichokes until you get to the pale green leaves (wipe your knife with lemon juice from time to time). Carefully open the center and use a small paring knife to dig out the fuzzy choke. Rinse the cavity well and immediately rub the artichoke with lemon juice. Slice into 2cm-thick, keep them in the lemon juice. Repeat with the remain artichoke
  2. Wiping the mushrooms with a moist towel.
  3. In a medium pot, bring water & vinegar (1:1) to boil, add a few pinches of sea salt. Drain the artichokes, add them in vinegar water, when the liquid comes back to the boil, remove the artichokes with a slotted spoon, place them on rack to cool. Then add mushroom to the same boiling vinegar water, when it boils again, drain immediately, place mushroom in a colander and put something heavy on top to drain out the excess liquid, and to cool.
  4. Sterilized the jar. Pack artichokes, mushroom, all garlics and herbs inside, fill with olive oils, then slide a small paring knife around the sides, making sure that no air bubbles remain in the oil (I didn't do a good job on this part as you seen my pic). Close the jar tightly and set aside for at least 6 weeks.
  5. I keep my jar in the refrigerator. The book said these vegetable keep easily for a year.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Gattina, how beautiful--and it will taste marvelous too. I used to can vegetables and make pickles. You're reminding me of that and I need to start doing it again. That's a delicious combination--and so ptetty you can show it off just by putting the jar on the table when you serve them

FH said...

Gorgeous recipe Gattina.Great photo as usual.I see lot of Indian spices too.YUM!!

Callipygia said...

Your veggies are so beautiful, so nice to see in the midst of this cold! Reminds me of those giant jars of antipasto at Italian restaurants- except these will taste so good.

Anonymous said...

This recipe is a total keeper, Gattina!

Anonymous said...

If you don't mind my saying so: brilliant! What an excellent way to up the quality of your food AND save some money. :)


Ari (Baking and Books)

Mishmash ! said...

Gattina, Loved ur colour scheme, another beautiful shot from u..Why dont u start a picture gallery for people like me ;))

And hey, Thanks for visiting my page and leaving those lovely comments :)

Shn

Anonymous said...

What a great idea! I'm intruiged - what are the veggies like after they have been preserved? Are they very soft or do they still have some give in the texture?

Gattina Cheung said...

Sher, when I making the preserve I thinking of you! One day if I have a chance to make pickles, I know where I can get good advice :D

Asha, oh really? I only followed my heart, who knows, maybe because mine flying to the east!

Callipygia, oh that giant jars are work of art! I love them!

Ivonne, thank you, next round I'll try eggplant and red pepper, think that will be in summer.

Thanks Ari, agree :D

Shn, thanks for your sweet words :D

Ellie, after the vinegar bath the veg is "just" slightly soften, but it didn't get any softer after preserved in oil.

Patricia Scarpin said...

Gattina,

I've always been so afraid of preserves!
And here you are, sharing this amazing preserve you made!

I should really learn how to do it and have good fruit/vegetable preserves all year round in my kitchen.

MyKitchenInHalfCups said...

As a child I loved to spend time in my grandmother's basement where she kept all her preserves, jam, jelly, pickles, you name it. Such bounty!
Your photo of the artichokes and mushrooms is glorious!