Saturday, January 31, 2009

Almond Milk & Brioche Pudding

Sorry my last post has left the question open. To order chocolate milk in Barcelona, I just ask for 'Cacaolat' (it's actually a manufacturer's name but its chocolate milk is distributed at all cafes). Or 'Batido de cacao', which is a description of this beverage, should be work too. But I surely will also try all of your suggestions next time, thank YOU!

I have quite a few friends who are a guy, and single. Their refrigerators are pretty deserted ... unless you count the pickles (been open but sitting there for 2 years) and packs of juice (expire date is 2006...) are food. But one thing they have in common, they always stock up fresh milk and egg (as long as I don't see the chicks hopping I guess the eggs are still fresh huh...). Many time our fridges are also such a desert, aren't they?

Good news is, we all are able to make bread and milk pudding anytime.

Please don't ask me why I look in their fridge... I would be a horrible girlfriend if I was single, the men had to knock their stuff in a safe...

I always eat brioche at home so it is what I have plenty. In my opinion, it is used in a regular bread & milk pudding's recipe, the flavor doesn't pop out. Therefore, I have added some marmalade, almond milk, some dried fruit and ground almond to create multi-layers of flavor, the pudding becomes more interesting to me.

I eyeballed everything and baked the pudding in some single-serving ceramic dishes. The following is only a guideline.

Recipe of Almond Milk & Brioche Pudding

yield: 2 persons

  • 1 cup of regular milk
  • 1 cup of almond milk
  • 2 tbps of sugar
  • 2 tbps of powder sugar
  • 1 egg
  • some brioche (preferably not dry... freeze them until you need them)
  • some strawberry/cherry marmalade
  • very small handful of dried cherries
  • cinnamon
  • some ground almond, lightly toasted
  • some butter

How-to

  1. Pre-heat the oven to medium (350) or slightly lower
  2. If the dried fruit (mine is cherries) is too dry, soak them in warm milk/water for 30 minutes.
  3. Grease the baking dish(es) with butter, and sprinkle some toasted ground almond
  4. In a mixing bowl, whisk the two milks, the two sugars, the cinnamon and the egg until they're well combined
  5. Cut the brioche to size, spread marmalade on each slice, dip it in milk mixture first before arrange it into a baking dish. Pour more milk mixture into the baking dish until it fills up. Sprinkle the dries cherries over.
  6. Bake the pudding, depending the dish's size, until it just starts to set. Serve hot.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

11 comments:

Rosa's Yummy Yums said...

Delicious! These pretty little puddings are very tempting!

Cheers,

Rosa

Bits said...

Your pics are gorgeous and making me drool. So many mouth watering pastry and cakes!

ChichaJo said...

This is such a comforting and delicious dessert to have...my grandma puts mango jam in hers for flavor :)

pigpigscorner said...

The addition of almond milk and marmalade sounds wonderful!

FH said...

LOL @ Eggs and chicks. Yeah, they must be fresh if you don't want Salmonella poisoning!
My fridge is always overflowing as always! ;D

Pudding looks wonderful, yet to try my hand at Brioche at home. Just posted a Asiago bread and savory French toast, peek in when you can!:)

Food For Tots said...

2 types of milks, 2 types of sugar ..... my 2 eyeballs almost popped out! I really admire your creativity!

Anonymous said...

delicious! this looks great! :)

Passionate Eater said...

Thank you for this versatile recipe. Wow, marmalade and almond milk are amazing additions, which definitely would add another dimension to the dish!

redmenace said...

I love almond sweets. Thank you for the recipe. The pictures are incredible!

Callipygia said...

I think if you baked this for your single friends...they wouldn't mind so much your refrigerator peeping!

Cynthia said...

If you don't have a middle name, let you give you one: wickedness! LOL

You have me drooling so badly!