Friday, May 16, 2008

Sweet risotto with Azuki

My mother-in-law likes the rice pudding (rice cooked with milk, egg and raisin) that sold at supermarkets. But this one I prepared is quite different, and includes azuki (tiny red beans) because I always miss my mom's azuki dessert.

If you are Asian you surely know azuki dessert... the beans boiled in water, with a lot of raw cane sugar and a bit of Mandarin orange's peel. My mom liked to throw in a handful of glutinous rice, which I loved so much that I'd fish out the rice from the bean pudding to fill up my bowl. Such a patience didn't extend to cooking azuki myself this time though. In this recipe I used cooked azuki from can, which still tasted wonderful, specially it didn't need much so I rather not to slave myself in kitchen.

Recipe of sweet risotto with azuki

yield: 2 servings

  • 3 Tbps cooked azuki (I used ones from can)
  • 1/4 - 1/3 cup of azuki infused syrup (from can as well)
  • 160 g Italian rice, I used Carnavoli
  • some water, simmering
  • 1 Tbp butter
  • zest from 1/2 orange
  • spoonfuls of mascarpone
  • dash of vanilla essence

How-to:

  1. Slowly melt the butter in a skillet, add rice and stir for a minute or two over medium-low heat. Add some simmering water, and the azuki syrup, stirring occasionally until the rice is almost done.
  2. Last minute add vanilla, orange zest and spoonfuls of azuki and mascarpone. Serve immediately.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

21 comments:

Mandy said...

I love red bean soup too! but hubs grow up on green bean soup. Maybe red bean soup is more of a Cantonese thing. :p Never try the version with glutinous rice though. But bet it's delicious. Sweet risotto with azuki is such a nice twist of the classic dessert I grow up with.

FH said...

I had heard of Azuki beans but never seen or eaten these. Rice pudding looks delicious. Send the beans photo to Bee's CLICK, I bet you win!:)

Suganya said...

I have never tried azuki beans. Since you have used it in a pudding, is it already sweet or beany like others?

Callipygia said...

I too have that nostalgia for azuki with rice, yet never thought of mixing the bean with a rice pudding/risotto. What a great idea!

MyKitchenInHalfCups said...

I think my husband who love rice pudding would really enjoy this. And beans in a dessert, that must up the healthy ratio dramatically!

Rosa's Yummy Yums said...

A delicious combination! Original and wonderfully sweet...

Cheers,

Rosa

Lore said...

What a stilish and original risotto!
Such a great blog like yours deserves an equally great award that's waiting for you on my blog ;)

Ann (MobayDP) said...

I have never heard of azuki before. I love risotto and have some here...I'll try this dessert without the azuki since I doubt I'll be able to find it here.

Your presentation is, as usual, so lovely.

Orchidea said...

Very intersting version of a sweet risotto... I love your photoes!
Ciao.

test it comm said...

This looks and sounds really good!

Lydia (The Perfect Pantry) said...

This looks delicious! I've had azuki beans a few times, and while I must admit I don't love them, I trying to learn to love them!

Gattina Cheung said...

Mandy, I love the green bean soup as well, but our mothers always claim the red one less "cooling" than the green, so no worry to eat it even on our "ketchup day", hehee.

Asha, Azuki, for me the taste similar to red kidney bean, but much tinier.

Syganya, yes, the beans are sweetened first :)

Calli, I only seen many Italian dishes combining bean with pasta, sometime savory risotto. But since my mom has been trying it, maybe I build up the taste since then, and I like it a lot :)

Tanna, it must be very happy having a meal with your family; seems that you/and your husband love a broad range of food!

Rosa, you are one of the sweetest!

Lore, what a suprise!!! Thank you, thank you!!! Never say enough thank you to you, sweetie!

Ann, may I suggest you, if skip the bean (but since the syrup infused Azuki flavor), probably raisin, or even chocolate will do a good substitute in order to add more flavor and texture, although I haven't tried them.

Sabrina, thank you for the sweet words *baci*

Kevin, thank you so much!

Lydia, no suprise :) My husband lived with me in Hongkong for 7 years still never likes Azuki :) :)

Angela said...

This looks absolutely sumptuous! What a beautiful photo. I will need to go on a hunt for the Azuki (they must be common in Asian markets?). This is a must try! Thanks for the great posting.

Brilynn said...

I love red bean buns and red bean ice cream and I'm sure I'd like this too!

indosungod said...

Picture Perfect Gattina. I have never tried beans with sweet dishes. This looks so pretty and I bet delicious.

Lore said...

Gattina you made me blush! No need to thank me so many times, it's really all your merit sweetie. Hugs coming your way :)

silverrock said...

cute dining ware... I love the modern-style bowl. Lovely looking risotto btw... I would definitely take a bite :)

cakewardrobe said...

Lovely recipe and photos as always!

Kajal@aapplemint said...

red bean desserts are incredibly yummy and this is no exception my dear friend. Looks just perfect.

sher said...

Those are the prettiest azuki beans I've ever seen in a picture! That picture is simply wonderful--the risotto makes it so elegant! :):)

Susan from Food Blogga said...

I'm used to rice pudding the way your mil makes it. But I'd love to try it with azuki beans. Is that an authentic Chinese recipe?