Wednesday, September 03, 2008

Fig, ham & cheese brioche

Fresh fig, Italian Mortadella (cold -cut), arugula and cream cheese on sliced-up brioche bun. Fig yoghurt on the side

Yestersday morning, I took a little American girl to a bar, sort of like mini pub + cafeteria, let her try more local food. At bars sandwiches and pastries must be available, some even offer local-style omelette, sausages, and braised bunny meat.

She looked at a couple of miniture brioche (milk/egg enriched sweet bread) buns which sandwiched with ham and cheddar. "Interesting, but why do they put sweet and salty flavors together?" she commented.

In fact, I'd always have a mood for it, with coffee, in the late morning (locals take one additional meal betweent after breakfast and before lunch) and late afternoon (yes, and one more, after lunch before dinner). But I still don't know how to answer her.

Any culinary tradition, or psychophysical and electrophysiological analysis behind? Or, simply as the advertising tag on a brioche's pack says - sweet or savory, up to your favorite. I suddenly remember, my husand's side of families in the States like pancakes with maple syrup and sausages for breakfast. What about you, like any sweet-n'-savory combo?

Two sandwiches in a row. Not much time on hand is part of the reason. The weather now is still too hot; I am avoiding the oven by all mean. So please tolerate me to use manufactured brioche.

I don't think you need a recipe; I simply tell you what I did.

Halve a brioche bun, spread some cream cheese on.

Dice up the fresh figs (I used two). The sweetest center parts put in the sandwich. The rest saves for mixing with plain yohgurt.

Roll up a slice of Mortadella, cut up, place on the sandwich.

I love some peppery taste but don't want any spice, so add in arugula.

Please enjoy!

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

11 comments:

Lydia (The Perfect Pantry) said...

So glad you're back -- we've missed your stunningly beautiful photographs!

J said...

Sometimes such simple recipes are oh-so-divine!

Rosa's Yummy Yums said...

Scrumptious! I already saw your pictures on Flickr and I must stay that they are amazingly beautiful!

Cheers,

Rosa

MyKitchenInHalfCups said...

Why sweet a savory? Ugh . . . try salted carmel . . . all will become clear.
Gorgeous sandwich! Simple is not a modifier for taste here, this has to taste great!!

Patricia Scarpin said...

I adore seeing you around here again, my dear and sweet friend!
We miss you and your beautiful creations!

Love the colors in these photos. And I love brioche with just about anything. :)

test it comm said...

These sound good. Nice photos!!

Susan from Food Blogga said...

Hi Gattina!

How do get such a vivid pink to photograph so well? I find it looks garish when I use bright colors, but yours is just lovely.

Lore said...

Yes, I've always enjoyed a good (as they are not all good) sweet-savoury combo and yours sounds just great!

Anonymous said...

Yum!

Paz

Eva said...

Your pictures are absolutely stunning, the colours are gorgeous and I love your way of decorating with flowers!

Anonymous said...

Everything is so carefully decorated! Beautiful, beautiful!