Wednesday, April 02, 2008

Radish (Leaves) & Avocado Quiche

Instead of the typical spinach and cheese, radish leaves and avocado are used for the filling. The radish leaves have a slightly peppery flavor similar to arugula's, are really incredible! I love eating the leaves and actually learnt it from Callipygia at FoodChair. Radishes are rich in absorbic acid, folic acid, and potassium. They are a good source of vitamin B6, riboflavin, magnesium, copper, and calcium. Radishes are also suggested as an alternate treatment for cancer, so these quiches I think are suitable to enter CCC.

Recipe of Radish Leaves and Avocado Quiches

yield 15 mini quiches (5 cm in diameters)

  • 15 store-bought mini quiche shells
  • 1 + 1 tablespoons of butter
  • 1 shallot, finely diced
  • 1 big handful of radish leaves, rinsed well, dried, chopped
  • 1/2 tsp mustard
  • flesh from a whole avocado, diced, mixed with a bit of lemon juice
  • 1 egg
  • 1 - 2 tablespoon(s) grate pecorino cheese (good match with radish)
  • a dash of milk/ cream
  • about 6 red radish, thinly sliced
  • good pinch of salt
  • grate green peppercorns
  • dried juniper berries as garnish

How to:

  • Pre-heat oven to 350F
  • Pre-heat a skillet, saute the shallot and butter over very low heat for about 1 minute. Raise up the heat, add radish leaves and salt for another 30 seconds. Discard any juice, set the leaves aside.
  • Puree avocado and leaves, well combine with egg, cheese, mustard, milk/cream, salt and green peppers. Spoon the filling into the shells, arrange radish slices on top, dot with tiny butter cubes and a bit of salt on radish. Bake until the top slightly firm to touch, about 20 minutes.
  • Garnish with juniper berries, serve warm

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

25 comments:

ChichaJo said...

Those tarts look stunning! I love how the colors pop out! And more importantly, they sound absolutely yummy :)

Anh said...

this is so colorful and beautiful, Gattina! Thumbs up!!!!

Lydia (The Perfect Pantry) said...

Every one of your photos is a feast for the eyes!

Ginny said...

Looks delicious! I love Avocado! :)

indosungod said...

they do look very pretty. Love Quiche, with avocado go to try it.

Patricia Scarpin said...

Gattina, you always put together ingredients in the most beautiful way.

cakewardrobe said...

Your food composition and photos are beautiful as always!

Pooja said...

Your pics make me speechless .
they looks absolutely stunning Gattina. Avocado with radish is a new combo for me :)

Unknown said...

These look like perfect lil' treats! The shells are so precisely done. Thanks so much for participating in CCC2. These will be wonderful in the round up. :)

Suganya said...

I can't wait to try these. Adorable, these are.

Gattina Cheung said...

ChichaJo, thank you :) They are my favorite colors as well.

Anh, thank you so much for your sweet words *hug*

Lydia, thanks for your compliment.

Ginny, yes they are, and thank you :)

indosungod, they aren't cheesy in taste as the ussual, but very creamy.

Pat, thanks with hugs.

Cakewardrobe, you please stay well, and have a wonderful trip!

Pooja, thank you my dearest friend. They are sort of like salad, just put in the form of quiche :)

Chris, I didn't make the shells from scratch this time... in fact, manufactured shells in all shapes, sizes and textures are very inexpensive in here :) Thanks for hosting the wonderful event!

Suganya, thank you for the compliment :D

Rosa's Yummy Yums said...

Those spring-like quiches look very pretty and stunning color-wise! I bet they taste wonderful!

Cheers,

Rosa

Cakespy said...

Like Lydia said, this is a feast for the eyes. It sounds as if the taste matches the beauty too!

Cynthia said...

This is such an original idea - would never had thought of avocado quiche. As always, your pics are stunning.

Lore said...

You never cease to amaze me and even if I said this before it still remains true. After reading your post I can't believe I always throw away radish leaves!
You have captured spring in a quiche! Chapeau to you :)

Anonymous said...

Looks stunning, I'm so impressed with your blog. Well done!

Anonymous said...

what a great color combination!

Journey_of_Life said...

Hi. I really wanted to exchange links! My website is www.mychocolateheaven.blogspot.com I hope you like my site as much as I do yours! haha. I have already added your website to mine and I hope you can return the favor. If you do get a chance, please inform me at my website. Thanks!!!

sher said...

OK, these will be on my table for sure. I'm growing 5 different varieties of radishes. I love eating the leaves--they taste great used in place of spinach in recipes. Besides the taste--these are impossibly beautiful. They really sing "Spring" to me! Bravo Gattina!

Callipygia said...

Hey what a great idea, I was sold as soon as I read the title. Those leaves are so good and now I look for the biggest batch... the avocado quiche is so novel! Even the radishes are puckering with pride.

Anonymous said...

Hi Gattina!
What a beautiful blog you have here! Your photos are gorgeous and DMBLGIT worthy :)

Revathi said...

Its a thoughtful way to combat cancer - I dont like radish leaves but your pictures almost tempt me to try them !

Coffee and Vanilla said...

Gattina,

It is very interesting combination, I love it and pictures too ;)

Unknown said...

Hi I am first time in ur blog ,I was fascinated by ur amazing collection of recipes. I love try the avocado quiche. Nice recipe.

Ann (MobayDP) said...

Wow. This looks interesting. Another thing I'll have to try when the avocados come into season here.