Sunday, November 18, 2007

Pinwheel Canapes & Savory Truffles

A few of classmates in our Spanish class didn't know any ah, beh, theh (the sound of a, b, c, ...) when it first started. On the other hand, our teachers use Spanish to teach us Spanish. When we didn't understand, we supposedly asked them in, errr, Spanish. Mind was completely disconnected from oral ability. So yes, there were a lot of dead-silent moments in our first week. Until the second week, the classroom's atmosphere was instantly re-alive; we had a topic about food! We talked! With the help of scribbling and facial animation, we actively (!) engaged in conversation and discussed about tipping etiquette (here we can just tip them 50 cents for dinner), numbers of meals people have in a day (5 meals, minimum) , and many more local specialties.
It is interesting to see how food brings people in together. When I first blogged, I felt I was weird, in the way that I wasn't speaking my native tongue, talked to someone I didn't know, and about the food I liked which probably your disliked. Now? As long as there is food on OUR table, then, here I come!
Left: Ham, cheese & leek pinwheel Right: Cheese, ham & pumpkin seed truffles

Most part of the recipe can (and should) be prepared ahead. The choice of ingredients is only a guidance, please go creative, or adjust according to your liking and their availability. The recipe and food styling are inspired by Comer Bien Numero 147

Recipe of Cheese, Ham & Pumpkin seed Truffle (yield about 6)

  • 6 heaped tablespoons of Gouda (cheese), finely shredded
  • 1 tablespoon butter, soften
  • a few pinches of garlic powder
  • a small pinch of paprika
  • 1 slice of Spanish harm Serrano (you may like to use Parma ham), finely diced
  • A handful of salted and toasted pumpkin seeds, coarsely chopped
  • 1 - 2 slice(s) of bread, cut to 6 small squares
  • some butter/ cheese (for spreading on bread)
  • some cherry tomato (thinly sliced) and fresh herb for garnish

How to:

Slightly warm up the cheese over low heat in micro-wave for 15 - 30 seconds. Combine it with butter, garlic powder, paprika and harm. The mixing isn't melting, only soft and able to form a ball. By hand or with help of a piece of plastic wrap to make 6 balls (or depending the size), roll them over the pumpkin seeds. Chill them in the fridge for 30 minutes or until it hardens.

Right before you serve, spread butter or cheese over the bread, lay out sliced tomatoes and fresh herb, place the truffle on top.

Recipe of Ham, Cheese & Leek Pinwheel (yield about 9)

  • 3 slices of mild favored ham (mine is jamon de York which is quite similar to the US sliced honey roasted ham)
  • 3 slices of mild favored sliced cheese
  • 1 - 2 stalk(s) of leek, white part only. You can replace with asparagus, but the miniature is preferable
  • 9 pre-made mini pastry base
  • some home-made tomato sauce... this time mine was in an addition of a spoonful of tomato paste during cooking

How-to:

First to grill the vegetable, seasoned, and cooled. Then on a work table, lay down 1 slice of ham, 1 cheese and a stalk of veg, roll the whole thing up. Repeat to the rest. You should get three logs. Wrap with plastic wrap and chill them for 30 minutes or so (you may skip the chilling part but I find it is more easier to slice them when it's harden a bit).

Right before you serve, toast the pre-made pastry base, spoon in some tomato sauce. Unwrap one log and slice, I get 3 slices from each log. Insert each pinwheel with a decorative toothpick or herb twig to secure the shape. Place them into the pastry.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

23 comments:

Sagari said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anh said...

So beautiful gattina! Full of color and texture! :D

FH said...

Beautiful Gattina, love the savory ones anytime than sweets!:)

Freya said...

Your food is always stunning! These look much too pretty to be a savoury nibble though - they should be a petits four!

Mishmash ! said...

food that has charming colour always attracts me and ur styling and pics never cease to amaze me, my friend!!

Shn

Lydia (The Perfect Pantry) said...

So beautiful and creative as always -- I love those pinwheels! They look like little lollipops.

Anonymous said...

Isn't it amazing how food can break the language barrier. I'm trying to learn French and the words come so easily when the focus is on food!

Julie said...

These savory truffles are such a good idea. I really love party food, small bites, appetizers...whatever you call it! I'm always looking for new ideas, so I'll hold onto this recipe!
Julie

Anonymous said...

hi gattina, i've not been blogwalk to your site often these days, and am amazed at your wonderful posts and recipe. beautiful pinwheels!

MyKitchenInHalfCups said...

You make it sound so easy but they look like so much more. Those are both awesome Gattina.

Gattina Cheung said...

Anh, really thanks for your continuously support! Your sweet words mean a lot to me :)

Asha, but I wouldn't resist the temptation from (sweet) chocolate truffle... however, have to consult my waistline :D

Freya, you don't know how happy I am when I see you back! Your posts are always treasure to me.

Shn, thank you so much for the compliment. You make my day buddy!

Lydia, ha, lollipop...I think so too :D NOw you have inspired me to further think of a sweet version, thank you!

Veron, hope you enjoy your class too. I haven't yet visited France (nor enjoyed their authenive dish), I know that I'd love them, plus their language as well.

Julie, glad that you like them. I'm the type the person that would snack all day, so tidbites are perfect.

Eliza, please don't worry, I understand that, there are so many things going on in life. Hope everything well in your side.

Tanna, oh thank you thank you! These days I really can't spare much time at kitchen, so I won't fuss, these are really quick to make.

Rosa's Yummy Yums said...

What great work of art! Magnificently presented!

Cheers,

Rosa

Unknown said...

Oh wow, your food is so lovely!

Susan from Food Blogga said...

Oh, Gattina, I have never seen pinwheels that elegant. Ever.

Saffron said...

Hello!!!
I think once you have a good knowledge of Spanish language, you can settle a greta restauramt there!
Baci

Callipygia said...

I love the rosemary hair-dos on the pinwheel. Very pretty. Glad you are enjoying class & got over feeling wierd about blogging to strangers! And I loved hearing from you- Gaudi is one of my favorites...Happy thanksgiving Gattina!

Sylvia said...

Oh my! This looks absolutely delicious.
My first visit at your blog and I am absolutely fascinated with the stunning photos and delicious recipes.

Cynthia said...

You are too good for words!

Cate said...

The picture and colors of those pinwheels is gorgeous!

Chris said...

I wish my hand could penetrate the screen! Yum! Looks wonderful.

Anonymous said...

Fiest time visiter and just wanted to say hi and your pictures are amazing!

Linda said...

how beautiful. you are such an artist!

sher said...

Those are just perfect! I know my guests over the holidays would love them!