- Combine flour, cocoa, salt and baking powder well in a large mixing bowl
- In another mixing bowl, beat shortening, butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add egg to coporate.
- Combine the flour mixture with the butter mixture to form a dough. Add little water if necessary, only a spoonful at a time as we aren't looking for wet dough.
- Wrap the dough and rest it in fridge for half an hour. Roll it to 1/2 cm thick (less thick for tartlet), in between you should rest the flatten dough in fridge again whenever it resists to spread out. Cut it to fit your pie and tart pans, wrap and rest them in fridge again for half an hour, the purpose is to allow the gluten in the dough totally relax so it won't shrink back and is able to keep the shape during baking. In this stage, you can freeze the dough for later use, or store them in fridge for 1 or 2 days.
- Fill the dough with conserve... and I dress up the round pie with two different fillings: cranberry conserve and marmalade. Bake in a 350F oven for 30-40 minutes for the pie, 20 minutes for the tartlets.
Enjoy this holiday, my dearest friends!