Rear: pineapple & sweet pepper chutneyShaneen from Malabar Spices generously shares her tomato chutney, I think the ingredients sound absolutely wonderful, which include tamarind(taste resembles to dates but more tangy) and mustard seed (spicy with some depth). Since I don't often eat tomatoes, and I want something going better with pork (as I''m Chinese... most of us love pork), so the recipe is twisted quite a bit. It's my first time to make chutney, I'd highly appreciate for any input and comment :D Thank you! Ingredients: (yield for 1 big bowl)
- 1/3 fresh and ripen pineapple, diced
- 1/4 sweet red bell pepper (large), diced
- tamarmind (mine is dried, after soften by warm water extract 3 tsps of paste)
- 1/4 red onion, finely diced
- 1/2 tsp mustard seed
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- a few dashes of red wine vinegar
- small pinch of salt
- paprika to taste
- honey to taste
- Heat some oil in a skillet, fry onion over low heat for 2 minutes, add mustard seed and cinnamon, fry for another minute. Raise up the heat, add a few dashes of red wine vinegar, pineapple and tamarind, check the liquid... my pineapple is very juicy, so no water is added. After everything's bubbling, simmer with the lid on for about 10 minutes.
- Add bell pepper and cook for another 5 minutes. I prefer not too watery, so I raise the heat to medium/medium-high, uncover. Add small pinch of salt, paprika and honey to taste.