Tuesday, September 26, 2006

Pineapple & sweet pepper chutney

Front: potato samosa (i.e. fried turnover)
Rear: pineapple & sweet pepper chutney

Shaneen from Malabar Spices generously shares her tomato chutney, I think the ingredients sound absolutely wonderful, which include tamarind(taste resembles to dates but more tangy) and mustard seed (spicy with some depth). Since I don't often eat tomatoes, and I want something going better with pork (as I''m Chinese... most of us love pork), so the recipe is twisted quite a bit. It's my first time to make chutney, I'd highly appreciate for any input and comment :D Thank you!

Ingredients: (yield for 1 big bowl)
  • 1/3 fresh and ripen pineapple, diced
  • 1/4 sweet red bell pepper (large), diced
  • tamarmind (mine is dried, after soften by warm water extract 3 tsps of paste)
  • 1/4 red onion, finely diced
  • 1/2 tsp mustard seed
  • 1/2 tsp cinnamon
  • a few dashes of red wine vinegar
  • small pinch of salt
  • paprika to taste
  • honey to taste

Direction

  1. Heat some oil in a skillet, fry onion over low heat for 2 minutes, add mustard seed and cinnamon, fry for another minute. Raise up the heat, add a few dashes of red wine vinegar, pineapple and tamarind, check the liquid... my pineapple is very juicy, so no water is added. After everything's bubbling, simmer with the lid on for about 10 minutes.
  2. Add bell pepper and cook for another 5 minutes. I prefer not too watery, so I raise the heat to medium/medium-high, uncover. Add small pinch of salt, paprika and honey to taste.

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

Delicious and beautiful looking!!!

Paz

Anonymous said...

very pretty! can imagine how tangy it is. i love pineapples :)

Meena Kandlakuti said...

Gattina,

great samosas and lovely chutney..it is very appriciating work to adopt some others food and give atry..your pickle looks very delicious.thanks for sharing

Unknown said...

Gattina,

This combination sure looks great!

Krithika said...

Chutney looks delicious ! Gorgeous color. I bet it tastes great with samosa

Anonymous said...

Absolutely yummy, delicious and beautiful! This I have to try.

Saffron said...

Wonderful pictures!I wan to know how to make so beautiful pictures (and recipes!). Kisses

Anonymous said...

Sounds lovely! I like the addition of pineapple - and the samosas look wonderful too!

Gattina Cheung said...

Thanks for everyone your kind words :D Actually I haven't had chutney... gosh... over 6 year. I can't remember what it should look like, chunck?

Saffron, I just keep trying different angles/postions, and exploring most of the functions of my camera. Like cooking, practise makes perfect :D

Lis said...

I saw those on Monisha's blog and drooled heavily. You've got me drooling again! But I especially like the looks and sounds of that chutney - yum!!

Anonymous said...

i will let u know after i make it but it is a unique idea. and chutney is a fresh crushed mix of sweet and/or sour and spicy, so ur pineapple chutney is wonderful in its ingredients.. we do make mango chutney and that is easily available in stores. with tomato the tamarind is needed to add sweetness, like u guessed. try this link. itsounds similar to ur chutney,http://www.foodnetwork.com/food/recipes/recipe/0,1977,FOOD_9936_19594,00.html

Gracio said...

my!everything looks so yummy! we both same same,loves indian food! :)

Gattina Cheung said...

Lis and Grace, thanks for the compliments :D

Shaheen, thank you for the comment and the link, they're very useful. I only had mango chutney at Inidian restaurants. I think I'll make this when I see good mango around.