Ingredients (yield 2 - 3 cups)
- 1 can net weight 108oz/ 3kg Italian plum tomato, e.g. San Marzano
- 2 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
- 1/2 onion, chopped
- 1/2 carrot, chopped
- 6 sweet basil leaves
- 1 sprig of oregano
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- Seeded the tomatoes and then puree
- In a big pot, heat some oil, brown the chopped garlic and onion, add the blended tomato, carrot, basil and oregano. Simmer for 25 minutes with the lid set slightly ajar. Taste and season. Discard the onion, carrot and the herbs.
- In a saucepan, heat 2 tablespoon oil, fry the minced over very low heat. Once you smell the fragrance, pour the garlic oil into the sauce. Simmer for another 5 minutes.
The basic tomato sauce freezes well.